- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.9 / person
What do you not like the shell? That must be remedied! My grandmother Lucrecia’s recipe will remove any negative thoughts from your mind. Here is the best way to prepare liver with onions . Since I was little, I have had this dish and I could never understand how my friends did not like it, if I loved it. But of course, a well-cooked liver is not the same as an almost raw steak. It really is a delicious dish. In fact, my friend Nacho, who is a great athlete, eats it often. His wife is also an artist cooking the liver.
I always flour the fillets and pass them through the pan before adding them to the casserole. Since I don’t like that the liver has a lot of pepper, what I do is add the pepper to the flour with which I am going to coat the fillets. I stir the mixture and so only a small amount is impregnated. The liver has a strong flavor and I don’t like to intensify with hot spices. As for the sauce, it does not need any thickener, since the fillets already have flour, it will soon be very thick. In fact, we must pay attention to the stew, so that we do not get caught in the bottom of the casserole. This usually occurs when cooking with flour.
I usually add some pine nuts, because I love this dried fruit and how well it combines with stewed meats. However, my grandmother has never used it. She always put a little parsley in it a few minutes before removing the stew from the heat. You can use whatever you like or mix the two ingredients. Preparing onion liver once a month can be an easy, affordable option, and a way to vary our weekly menu with an extra supply of vitamins and good proteins for the whole family. A quick, simple, inexpensive and tasty recipe, without further delay, here comes my grandmother’s most popular recipe ” liver with onions “, with a personal touch of yummy.
Preparation of the liver with onions
- In a low and large saucepan, pour a generous stream of extra virgin olive oil, until the bottom of the casserole is covered.
- We cut the onion in julienne and add it to the casserole so that it is poaching.
- Chop the garlic cloves. When the onion has a golden color and is transparent, add the garlic to finish cooking. When it is ready, remove the casserole from the heat and reserve.
- We put flour on a plate (enough to flour the fillets). A great trick for the recipe is mix the flour that you are going to use to flour the fillets with a little black pepper. Then flour the liver, it will give it a very special touch, black pepper is great.
- We cut the liver fillets so that they are not so big. Two or three cuts is enough. We salt them and flour them in the previous mixture.
- We heat the oil in the pan and pass the fillets a little so that they brown slightly on both sides.
- Add the fillets to the saucepan and fry for 1 minute over low heat.
- Pour the warm white wine into the saucepan. We remove and leave it on low heat so that the sauce thickens and is reduced. We correct the point of salt and add the pine nuts (or parsley)
- Watch the stew and move the casserole a little to avoid grabbing the sauce.
- When the sauce has reduced, remove it from the heat. We serve freshly made and hot, since if we leave it to rest too long the liver can harden a little. We can accompany it with a green salad and even serve it as a single dish accompanied by a simple mashed potato .
A traditional and tasty recipe with a highly recommended vitamin content. Its preparation as you have read is very easy and fast. Like almost all of my age and in Galicia, I usually went to the pig slaughter, a custom that has been lost in my family. Memories of childhood, I assure you that I am in love with this type of meat, in this case of veal, which is even better than pork liver.
This is the way I like to cook it the most, since if it is not by itself very bland and quite strong, the onion gives it the sweet spot that balances the recipe and makes it delicious. I recommend a good supply of good bread, because the sauce is glorious and if you mix it with the mashed potatoes … yummy.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.