- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- 2.2 € / person
- 310kcal per 100g.
How to make a beef fricandó . Within the madness that has given me for stews , this time I attack with one of the recipes that is most prepared in Catalonia, the beef fricandó or frincandó amb bolets.
A recipe with meat in which we get the veal to be so tender that it almost melts when chewed. It is accompanied by a thick sauce and some mushrooms, I have used mushrooms , because the season in Madrid is weak.
Although other varieties can be used and my recommendation is that you use the mushrooms available in your region. In addition, this aromatic and tasty stew has a thick sauce that makes it richer even reheated the next day.
The word fricandó comes from the French “ fricandeau ” (a certain stew in French cuisine). It is a humble and popular Catalan dish although it has French origins, any type of meat is blanched there and it does not have mushrooms, even the most famous version is usually chicken fricaseé, not beef.
In Catalonia they prepare it as a stew of very tender beef fillets, with an onion sauce and it has some type of mushrooms or fungi, the most typical being the ” moixernons “, also known as ” perretxico ” or ” Orduña mushroom “, which they give a very characteristic flavor to the dish. Although it can be adapted to any other variety such as mushrooms, senderuelas, boletus, thistle mushroom , etc.
Traditional dishes as is have never ceased to be fashionable, but it seems that now they want to take them up as something new, even as a replacement for the new kitchen.
It seems a bit ridiculous to me, because they have never really disappeared from home kitchens or from restaurant menus, large or small. I hope you like it and cheer up with this delicious fricandó.
How to make a good vegetable broth
- You will need water, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 leek, a piece of pumpkin (we are in season), 1 red pepper, 2 whole tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, coriander or fresh parsley (with a bouquet arrives), a little chive and extra virgin olive oil.
- I do not add salt to it, because if I go to cook with it later it can screw up the recipe, I prefer to add it later.
- We clean all the ingredients very well, we pass them in water and then we dry them. We cut into Brunoise- style cubes or what is the same, into small cubes of 1 or 2 mm in size, except for bay leaf and parsley.
- We put in a large saucepan a good jet of extra virgin olive oil and heat at medium temperature, fry the onion and the leek, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- We add 3 liters of water. We let it boil only for 5 minutes (if we leave it longer we will lose aromas of what we are cooking) and then lower it to a low heat for another 15 minutes.
- During cooking and so that the minimum liquid evaporates, we partially cover the pot with a lid. Always leaving a little space so that the lid does not dance and we lose our kitchen.
- Once the cooking is finished, we lift the lid and add the fresh aromatics (parsley, coriander, bay leaf, chive …).
- We remove, cover the casserole again and leave out of the fire. With this trick we will be able to finish infusing the broth with these aromas.
- Strain and store in the fridge.
Preparation of the veal for the fricandó
- The original recipe is with seasonal mushrooms, it depends on the time of year. You will find from moixernons, perretxico or Orduña mushroom . Also the yellow trumpets (camagrocs), St. George’s mushrooms (moixernons) and the chanterelles (rovellons). The latter are perhaps the ones I like the most.
- In this case we have used humble mushrooms that are also great. We have to clean the mushrooms very well and laminate them for the stew. We reserve.
- We start with the meat, some great fillets that we break into 3-4 pieces depending on the size of it. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- We pass them in flour and fry them in a pan with enough extra virgin olive oil. Round and round, so that there are juices inside. We reserve on absorbent kitchen paper.
Preparation of the beef fricandó. Final presentation
- In the same oil we add minced garlic and fry the onion, it should be almost transparent.
- Later we add the peeled and diced tomatoes brunoise style, about 2 cm. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the white wine and let it reduce and evaporate the alcohol, another 10 minutes approximately over medium heat. Now we are adding broth little by little, one glass at a time, so that the sauce thickens. I have done it about 4 times.
- We pass the resulting sauce through the Chinese and pour it into the saucepan where we will finish the dish. As soon as it starts to boil, lower the heat to low, add the fillets and mushrooms. We rectify salt.
- Let it cook for about 20 minutes over low heat so that all the flavors are integrated and reduce the sauce even further.
- For the garnish there are people who use white rice, a little chestnut puree or potatoes.
- In my case I have used diced potato chips, which I have incorporated into the stew a couple of minutes before serving at the table.
- For the presentation we choose our gala dishes, the recipe deserves it, and we place two fillets in the center, we water with the sauce that is printed and we crown the recipe with mushrooms or mushrooms.
We can only enjoy one of the most traditional recipes in Catalonia. Each one there or here gives it its personal touch, there are dozens of different versions.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in this recipe album for beef fricandó.
Tips for a yummy beef fricandó
- For this recipe we have prepared a homemade vegetable broth. But if you don’t have time, you can find in the supermarket a great variety of broths prepared with vegetables.
- This option is quick and easy, but obviously not the best. Although I have ever used them and they are not bad (it depends on the brand and especially the price).
- The amounts that I give you in the recipe of each ingredient are for more than 2 liters of broth. Then you can keep it in the fridge for about 5 days maximum. You can also freeze it for when you prepare this recipe, a broth, a soup, a rice or some lentils.
- This vegetable stock or broth is very easy to prepare and you can use the vegetables you have in your fridge. I advise you a few more or less neutral that you can vary as you like.
- The original recipe is with mushrooms, if possible moixernons, perretxico or Orduña mushroom. They are usually present dehydrated in the market throughout the year. We would have to soak them for 2 hours in hot water, see the instructions or recommendations on the package.
- We have used some beef fillets from the side of the hip or stifle and they come quite clean from nerve edges, but if we see any we remove it. It usually brings a little fat, very little, which is not bad for the recipe, but I leave that to your liking.
- I advise you to try it someday with an Iberian secret or even with a chicken fillet like the Belgians and the French do, the result is just as fantastic. I do not think it is necessary that I recommend that you prepare it, the photo speaks for itself: to the kitchen, cooks!