For 4 € 5.2 /pers. 305 kcal/100g
- 320g. Scotti rice
- 1.2l. seafood and fish broth
- 100g. of onion
- 1 kg. of mussels
- 350g. of shrimp
- 250g. of clams
- 250g. of cockles
- 200g. monkfish, scorpionfish, mullet… or some similar fish
- 250 ml. of white wine
- 30g. of butter
- 30g. Parmesan cheese
- Salt (to the taste of each house)
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 50 ml. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Fresh parsley
One of the pillars of Venetian cuisine is rice . This is joined by the mollusks, crustaceans and fish from its lagoon and coastal area, which give rise to one of the typical dishes of Venetian cuisine within Italian gastronomy, risotto ai frutti di mare .
Risotto rice contains two different types of starch. One is found on the surface of the grain, which partly dissolves with cooking. The other is inside the grain, it remains compact and will determine its consistency.
Among the three varieties of special rice for risotto, the Arborio variety is one of the most appreciated and it is the one we have used in this recipe, always with the confidence that the Scotti brand gives us . It has greater resistance to cooking, the time lapse between cooked rice and stale rice is greater with this variety, which is why it makes the preparation of our risottos much easier.
Choosing quality seafood and fish is as important as choosing the right rice. Mollusks, crustaceans and fresh fish are preferable to any other option. The ideal would be to let ourselves be guided by our fishmonger when preparing this luxury seafood recipe, risotto ai frutti di mare .
The result is a creamy risotto , slightly moist, but not watery. Its intense sea flavor thanks to the cooking broth of the mollusks and a homemade fish broth, the delicacy and flavor of the rice, a good sofrito base and the mantecado with Parmesan cheese, are the secrets of a luxury recipe. I leave you with another risotto recipe to succeed at home, do you dare to make it?
Preparation of mollusks and fish
- We pass clean water to the mussels, clams and cockles. We reserve the mussels and soak the cockles and clams covered with salt water. We will keep them in the water for about 2 hours so that they release sand and debris.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the garlic clove cut in two and the chopped parsley. We cook until we see that the garlic begins to brown slightly. At this moment we add 200 ml. of white wine and wait for it to boil to add the mollusks.
- We will add them separately, respecting the cooking times of each one. We will start with the clams. When they open they will be ready. We remove them with a slotted spoon and add the cockles. We continue cooking it in the same water as the clams. When they open we remove them.
- Finally we add the mussels to the casserole and cook them until the shells open. We withdraw and reserve. Once the mollusks are cooked, we filter the cooking water and reserve it.
- We remove the shells from the mollusks except for about twenty or so, which we will use for presentation on the plate. We reserve the mollusks in a little of the cooking water to keep them soft.
- We peel the prawns, except for 4 for the final presentation of the dish. In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the prawns over high heat on both sides. Season and reserve.
- We clean the fish and cut it into fillets or serving pieces. We can ask our fishmonger to prepare it for us. We cook the fish with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt it. We reserve.
Final preparation of risotto ai frutti di mare
- In a saucepan we heat a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until soft.
- We add the rice and brown them for 2 or 3 minutes until they become translucent. Add the rest of the white wine and let it evaporate completely while stirring. Once the wine has evaporated, we add the juice from the cooking of the mollusks. And then 1 ladle of very hot fish broth.
- We continue adding very hot broth, as it is absorbed while stirring often. We let the rice cook for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Once the rice is finished cooking, add the sautéed prawns, fish fillets and cooked mollusks and mix gently.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley, ground pepper, butter and Parmesan cheese. We mix and let the risotto rest for 2 minutes, covered. We serve with the mollusks with cocha and the mat prawns that we have reserved to decorate.
You can see all the photos of this recipe step by step in this album. Don’t miss a single detail and you’ll get a delicious sea frutti risotto .