- 60 minutes
- For 2 persons
- 3.6 € / person
- 180kcal per 100g.
How to prepare quail with a sauce of vegetables and mushrooms.
Today I present you a very simple, easy and tasty autumn recipe, a recipe for game meat , quail with mushrooms .
You will have no problems finding quail, as they are usually in the hunting category, but you can already find it on the farm in all supermarkets. They are already plucked and gutted, although there are always remains inside, which we will clean later.
The basic ingredients to prepare the accompaniment for these quails are onion, garlic, tomato, mushrooms and aromatic herbs, all accompanied by a reduction of wine and broth.
The result of the cooking of the vegetables and mushrooms gives us a dense and very tasty sauce, the sofrito is essential to give the quail a touch. You can even grind the vegetables and combine with the mushrooms, to make the presentation even more delicious. But it’s a matter of taste, you decide what you like the most
A traditional and classic dish with few ingredients but treated with great care. A recipe that is worth preparing at home, the meat is very juicy and tender. The resulting sauce is glorious, from dipping bread until the bar is finished.
Do you want to succeed with this quail recipe ?
Clean and seal the quail before cooking
- Before starting to cook we must check the quail. See if there is anything left between the wings and legs, also I always wash them just in case.
- If you find them in a better butcher shop, although they are much more laborious to clean. Also the cooking in a little longer than the farm ones.
- In this case I have used 2 very large quails of about 180 gr. they already came clean.
- Still, it is better to wash them with a little warm water, dry them with absorbent paper and reserve for their preparation.
- In a large saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil. We brown the quails on all their faces and remove them from the casserole, reserve.
- In the same casserole and with the oil of having browned the quails, we fry the onions and the garlic cloves previously diced.
- We cook the vegetable for about 20 minutes, until it is well poached.
- We add the flour and cook it while we integrate it with the vegetables.
- We brown the flour for a few minutes before adding the aromatic herbs, rosemary, oregano, thyme and tarragon.
Preparation of the vegetable and mushroom sauce
- Return the reserved quail to the saucepan and add the red wine.
- We cook for 5 minutes so that the alcohol of the wine evaporates.
- Add the peeled and crushed tomato, the vegetable stock and salt.
- Cook the quail for about 45 minutes over medium heat with the casserole covered.
- While the meat is cooking, in a frying pan we melt the butter. Once melted, add the mushrooms cut into slices and brown them for a few minutes.
Cooking and final presentation of the quail
- Once the 45 minutes of cooking of the meat have passed, we add the golden mushrooms.
- We continue to cook the quail stew for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. This time with the casserole uncovered so that the sauce is reduced.
- We finish the dish until the meat is at its point, tender and the liquid has reduced. I advise you to serve immediately, warm with a good piece of bread.
It is a recipe that we have prepared at home for a long time, since when my father went hunting partridges or quails. But now much easier because we already found them in all supermarkets.
A recipe with delicious, classy meat, perfect for any occasion.
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe for quail with mushrooms in this album.