- 150 minutes
- For 4 people
- 5.5 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to make osso buco .
Within the Italian cuisine there are many recipes beyond the pizza, the risotto and pasta .
It has an extensive collection of meat and fish dishes, and among them is ossobuco, one of the most traditional recipes.
This dish is considered to originate from the Lombardy region, of which Milan is its capital, hence the full name of this recipe, ossobuco alla milanese.
On the blog you can find the Galician version of the jarrete or xarrete , one in stew and the other accompanied by eggs , but I would not know which recipe to keep, whether the Italian or the Galician.
Osso buco , in Italian literally means hollow bone , which refers to the way of cutting and presentation of the pieces of meat used. It is a stew prepared with veal shank, always cut into slices that include the bone and marrow.
The portions must be thick, about 3 cm. And they are prepared like traditional stews, those of a lifetime, over low heat and for no less than 2 hours, accompanied in the stew with tomato, carrots and onions, although it can take other types of vegetables.
If we want to adapt to new technologies and modern life, we can considerably reduce cooking time using a pressure cooker, so we would have it ready in 30 minutes.
Anyway and what we want is to prepare this dish in a totally traditional way, the 2 hours of fire is not taken away by anyone.
The custom is to accompany this dish with boiled rice or risotto alla milanese , although outside Lombardy, it is sometimes served with pasta and I must say that accompanied by some stewed potatoes, it is delicious.
Preparation of the ossobuco a la milanesa
- In a wide saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil. When the oil is very hot, add the previously floured bear cubs.
- We brown them well on all sides to seal the pieces well and prevent them from losing their juices when cooking. We reserve.
- Ideally, we use a casserole where we can place the pieces without mounting on each other. If the oil was left with flour remains, strain it and add it back to the casserole.
- Peel and cut the onion into cubes and the carrot into cubes. Heat the oil in the pan again. We incorporate the vegetables with 6-7 grains of black pepper and the bay leaf.
- Sauté the vegetables over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- We blanch the tomatoes to remove the skin or peel them directly with a knife. We add them in pieces to the casserole and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- We add the ossobuco pieces that we have reserved.
Cooking and final presentation of the ossobuco
- Pour in the wine, water and salt and let it evaporate to the alcohol before covering the casserole. We cook over medium heat for 2 hours.
- At this point we can do two things or serve as is. On the one hand the meat and on the other the vegetables in cubes.
- We can also remove the meat to a source and go through the blender or through the Chinese the vegetables to create a fine sauce. A more uniform presentation, always before incorporating it into meat.
- The latter is what I have done, it seemed more lucid to shred the vegetables, but as tasty it is the same in both ways.
This recipe that I present to you is one of the tastiest and most traditional ways of preparing ossobuco.
A homemade recipe that my mother prepared for me when I was little. Although I don’t know who gave him this Italian recipe. The most traditional thing is to serve the ossobuco with rice, either white rice or some risotto .
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes with meat that we have on the blog.