- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.5 € / person
- 195kcal per 100g.
How to prepare quail for the hunter .
The hunter sauce, or chasseur , is a typical French sauce. Specifically, a sauce classified within the demiglace sauce .
This sauce is usually used as an ideal accompaniment to game recipes such as rabbit, partridges, a chicken to the huntress or, as in the case of today’s recipe, quail to the huntress . The basic ingredients to prepare this sauce are onion, garlic, tomato, mushrooms and aromatic herbs, all accompanied by a reduction of wine and broth.
It is a traditional and classic dish, which is worth preparing at home, the meat is very juicy and tender and the resulting sauce is one of dipping bread and not stopping.
On the blog you can find other recipes just as good, quail stewed with mushrooms , quail with a sauce of vegetables and apple or the classic pickled quail
A great quail recipe that of course will make you succeed at home, another dish of yummy.
Seal the quail before cooking
- In a large saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil.
- We brown the quails on all their faces and remove them from the casserole, reserve.
- In the same casserole and with the oil of having browned the quails, we fry the onions and the garlic cloves previously diced.
- We cook the vegetable for about 20 minutes, until it is well poached.
- We add the flour and cook it while we integrate it with the vegetables.
- We brown the flour for a few minutes before adding the aromatic herbs, rosemary, thyme and tarragon.
Preparation of the hunting sauce, cooking and final presentation
- Return the reserved quail to the saucepan and add the red wine. We cook for 5 minutes so that the alcohol of the wine evaporates.
- Add the peeled and crushed tomato, the vegetable stock and salt. Cook the quail for about 45 minutes over medium heat with the casserole covered.
- While the meat is cooking, in a frying pan we melt the butter.
- Once melted, add the mushrooms cut into slices and brown them for a few minutes.
- Once the 45 minutes of cooking of the meat have passed, we add the golden mushrooms and continue cooking the quail stew for another 10 or 15 minutes, this time with the casserole uncovered so that the sauce is reduced.
- It is a traditional French recipe that is worth preparing at home.
- With little work we can enjoy a meat with a classy hunting sauce, perfect for any occasion.
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe for quail to the huntress in this album.
Tips for a fluffy quail
- Although the quails that I have used are not from hunting but from farm, this type of sauce will be perfect for its preparation.
- These quails can be found in supermarkets, they are already plucked and gutted, although there are always remains inside.
- We must see if there is anything between the wings and legs, also I always wash them just in case. If you find them in a better butcher shop, although they are much more laborious to clean.
- In this case I have used 4 very large quails of about 180 gr. They already came clean, but it is best to wash them with a little warm water, dry them with absorbent paper and reserve for their preparation.
- It is a super classic recipe that, without having to be demanding and prepare a full-blown demiglace at home. With its corresponding hours of cooking the broth, we can make a simpler and equally tasty preparation.
- The process is simple, start by browning the meat, and preparing a vegetable sauce with the same oil that we will end up flavoring with the herbs and wine. We finish the dish by cooking sofrito and meat in a broth until the meat is done.