- 35 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 287kcal per 100g.
Pasta with spicy tomato sauce.
When Luca comes to eat at home he always prepares a recipe (yes, he cooks… he is an atypical guest), he papas the pomodoro with a spicy touch.
It is a family pasta recipe from the Lazio area that they make at home since their grandmother’s time. It is an easy, tasty and cheap pasta, it has almost everything to be able to succeed in any home, even if it is not Italian.
Although this is his recipe, one more, I imagine that in Italy you will find as many recipes for pomodoro pasta as mammas (a similar one is pasta alla arrabbiata , although this is less spicy).
The base is in good ingredients, the pasta al dente and the tomato sauce with that itailana touch that gives the garlic, the pepitocino and the basil.
I will put the step by step with photos at the end as a summary so that it is very easy to follow. I hope it becomes your star dish. Perfect for a romantic dinner or a party at home with friends, it goes well with everything.
The original recipe does not usually contain basil although once you try the recipe with it you have to include it.
Preparation of spicy tomato sauce
- We open the can of whole peeled tomatoes and remove the excess liquid (the tomato water) since in this case we will only use the pulp.
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and while it is heating, peel the garlic and fillet finely.
- Add to the casserole the sliced garlic and the chilli cayenne.
- Brown the ingredients and when they begin to have color we introduce the tomatoes and cut them in half with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Let it cook until they reduce to less than half their size, about 25 minutes over medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper,
- We introduce the chopped basil and stir everything well bringing together flavors.
- We test and rectify with salt. We remove a few minutes and remove from the fire. We reserve to combine with the pasta.
Preparation of the pasta
- The first step is to have the sauce ready before the pasta touches the water. The sauce should always wait for the pasta and not the other way around.
- We heat in a saucepan a liter of water for every 100 g of pasta, the recommended measure per person except if we are passionate about the casarecce at home.
- When it begins to boil in spurts we add 1 generous handful of salt, about 2 level tablespoons for every 500 grams of pasta.
- Then we add the pasta, always all together. Stir with a wooden spoon so that the casseroles do not stick and are loose.
- On the back of the pasta pack comes the cook time. In this case it is 11 minutes. This way we will achieve what is called pasta “al dente” or at the right point.
- Once the time has elapsed, drain the pasta immediately.
Final presentation of the pasta with tomato sauce
- We add the freshly made casseroles to the spicy tomato sauce and mix everything with a spoon so that the flavors come together.
- We decorate each plate with a little bit of some more fresh basil leaf.
- Grate some Parmesan or Pecorino cheese flakes and sprinkle over the pasta. We serve warm.
Of course it is a simple and quick recipe to make, really rabid. Do not stop trying it and you will tell me …
You can see all the photos of the step by step in this pasta recipe album with spicy tomato sauce ,
Tips for a yummy tomato paste
- One possibility is to add a little concentrated tomato paste to the quick cook and speed up the sauce process.
- You can store the liquid or water left from the canned tomato in a pot. It will come great for another future recipe with tomato water.
- It can also be reduced for a concentrated tomato paste. You just have to put this water in a saucepan and let it reduce for 15 minutes, perfect for the base of a pizza.
- When cooking pasta, I recommend using a large casserole, the largest in your kitchen. If you cook pasta many times it will be very useful to buy a casserole for those occasions, a good investment.