- 180 minutes
- For 10 people
- 2.1 € / person
- 326kcal per 100g.
How to prepare Galician tripe.
If we start talking about salty recipes, well rather star stews in Galician cuisine, there is a dish that occupies an exceptional position within the recipes for stews with legumes , callos a la gallega .
Both calluses, such as Galician stew , and Galician broth or pot , are dishes that are rooted in the deepest and most distant of Galician culture. When calluses were prepared on feast days, in times of scarcity, that was the sum of happiness for many.
Today’s callus recipe is my mother’s Rosa, the same as always, as she cooks them for as long as I can remember. To this day, it has not been surpassed by anyone I know and has tried.
In Galicia it is customary to prepare stewed tripe with chickpeas. Curious recipe if we compare it with the corns that we will find in Madrid or Asturias, in which I miss the legumes. A dish that our gourmet Álvaro Cunqueiro talked about.
“In Riotorto only the pancreas is not used, contrary to what happens in other regions of Galicia. In addition to eating the head, ears, pork shoulder, ham, nails, etc …, There is a typical dish such as tripe, that is, the walls of the belly of the pig (they can also be from the cow), which are they eat with chickpeas and chorizo. Custom brought by the people of San Sebastián and Maragatos. ”
Although it is a long preparation dish, I encourage you to get down to work. The result is a super tasty spoon dish. I would even say creamy, that it could not be more good.
- We put the chickpeas to soak overnight, no less than 8 hours, so that they rehydrate.
- We also soak the pig’s claw with its knuckle. Once we have asked our butcher to cut it for us, overnight.
- When we buy the meat for the tripe, we will also ask our butcher to cut the veal leg.
- At home we will leave to soak in water with the juice and the skins of two lemons, the meat of the stomach of veal that we will have cut and the leg from the previous night.
- This will facilitate the cleaning work of these meats. Although today they are marketed much cleaner than they were years ago. The lemon juice will help us in the process so that we are immaculate to cook them.
- After having to soak the chickpeas, the nail and pork knuckle. Also the meats of stomach and leg of veal from the previous night, we get down to work.
- We wash the stomach and calf leg very well again, mainly the stomach. We will dedicate some effort to this process.
Galician tripe preparation
- In a fast pot, cook the chopped stomach, the leg of the veal and the claw and pork knuckle in cold water, for 5 or 6 minutes without putting the pot under pressure.
- We discard this first cooking water and cover again. Add to the pot the diced onion, the chopped garlic cloves, the spicy and sweet paprika, the cumin and a pinch of salt. We cook the meats for 15 minutes.
- We open the pot by chilling it directly under the cold water tap.
- Add the chickpeas, close the pot quickly and cook the corns for 30 minutes. Always until we see that the chickpeas and meat are almost tender. We reopen the saucepan by chilling it directly under the tap.
- If we choose to use a traditional casserole, we should cook the meats about 50 minutes before adding the chickpeas.
- Once we have the chickpeas in the casserole, we will cook them for 1 hour and a half and 2 hours, checking that they are cooked.
- Add the chorizo in pieces or slices. We continue cooking 30 minutes more with the pot without pressure.
- We check the cooking point being able to increase or decrease them in this last process as we see.
We will not need more than a good Galician bread to dip in the sauce. Do not forget a glass of red wine to enjoy as they send the canons of a great plate of tripe a la gallega. A wonder, I assure you.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare some Galician tripe and that they turn out perfect.
Tips for some Galician squid tripe
- Using parts of the veal that, a priori, would not be classified among the best, we can prepare a dish to remove the hat. Needless to say, the quality of the raw material is very important. Do not buy anything and always on trusted sites. Especially with good cleaning.
- With crisis, scarcity or without it, it is a fairly humble and cheap recipe, but incredible in flavor, as long as you like casquería. A recipe that is especially indicated for cold months, but there are always those who do not forgive a few calluses, hot or cold.
- The way of preparing corns, even though they are basically the same in all houses, always have small differences. You can give your touch, but following the step-by-step basis of my mother’s recipe I assure you that they will be delicious.