- 155 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.45 € / person
- 347kcal per 100g.
How to make a pancake or pancake .
At Easter and Easter , in addition to processions and masses, we find countless traditional recipes, both sweet and savory.
It is time to go into the kitchen to prepare those usual dishes, the ones that our grandmothers prepared and surely our mothers too.
Wake stews, Malaga borrachuelos , cod with chickpeas, French toast , monas de Pascua , or pestiños with honey .
The Spanish gastronomic repertoire is extensive and varied in each community when these dates arrive. Today’s is one of those lifelong recipes, the pancake .
It is one of the most typical elaborations of Valencian land during Easter. Depending on the region in which we are, it will receive very different names: panou, toña, fogaseta, bonfire, pa socarrat, coc, tonya . It is a type of roscón de pascua or mona de pascua , which is another of the sweets that are traditionally consumed in the region on these dates.
It is a sweet with a fluffy white interior and a dark and toasted outer layer, almost burnt. Hence its name: pancake, with a flavor that can recall that of the roscón de Reyes .
The most traditional thing is to eat the pancake with a good cup of hot chocolate for a snack, hard-boiled egg or accompanied by an Easter sausage , a Valencian sausage made from lean pork. A special dessert for this Easter or for the whole year.
Preparation of the dough of the future pancake. Kneaded
- We crumble and dissolve the fresh yeast in the warm milk. We reserve.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the sugar. We beat well.
- Add the orange and lemon zest, the oil, the anise drizzle and the salt.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are together. Add the milk with the yeast already dissolved and mix again.
- We pour the flour and first with a wooden spoon and then with the hand, we mix and knead lightly until all the flour has been perfectly integrated.
- Let the dough rest in the same floured bowl until it doubles its volume.
- It will take more or less time depending on the temperature at which we have our kitchen. Although surely in 2 hours it will have grown perfectly you can leave it until the next day.
- Once it has doubled in volume, we manipulate the mass to eliminate the gas inside it.
- We form a ball and place it on the floured baking sheet or on a parchment paper.
Rested and Baked. Final presentation of the pancake
- Let it rest again until it doubles its volume, this will be the 2nd levado (2 hours is more than enough).
- We paint the dough with beaten egg and with a knife we lightly mark a cross on its surface.
- In a glass we put 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle with a few drops of water until it is moistened.
- We preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 190º C.
- We spread the sugar over the surface of the dough. We put the pancake in the oven, for 25 minutes in the middle tray, with temperature above and below.
- So that the outside of the pancake does not burn too much, half baked we cover it with aluminum foil.
- Once baked, we take it out and let it cool on a rack. Enjoy this dessert with a good coffee or infusion and if you have a glass of coffee liquor on hand , much better.
If you like this recipe, be sure to visit our special desserts and sweets for Easter and Easter .
Follow the step by step that you will find in the album of this pancake recipe , it will come out the first time.
Tips for a fluffy pancake
- I hope you dare to prepare this Valencian sweet bread that is very simple, since it does not have almost kneaded, and cheap at the same time (10 servings at about 0.40 € / serving approximately).
- It is a recipe so appreciated that its preparation and consumption lasts throughout the year, although it is traditionally made at Easter and Easter. It is common to say “ go cute ”, to express the fact of going out to snack on this sweet with family and friends during Easter.
- The ingredients for the pancake and the monkey are the same, the only difference is that the monkey can be shaped like an animal, a crocodile or a snake, a flower or a bow, and it is always decorated with a cooked egg.
- While the pancake is shaped like bread and does not carry the egg, except in some towns such as Alberic, which is topped with mounted egg whites.
- It seems laborious but it is not, it is actually one of the simplest recipes that I have published lately. Although it is true that it takes time, 15 minutes of preparation + 2 hours of rest + another 2 hours of rest + 20 final minutes of baking. You will tell me if you prepare it and if you want to add any advice to the recipe, I will be happy to read your recommendations.