- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 345kcal per 100g.
How to make flakes with honey.
During Carnival and Easter , the stoves are lit to prepare all kinds of desserts from the so-called “ pan desserts ”.
Pestiños , donuts , fried flowers , pancakes , ears , donuts roceñas , crepes or fritters of Carnival are part of the sweet repertoire for these holidays.
Today I have prepared one of those sweets with a history of these dates, the flakes on honey . A traditional dessert from the Castilla-La Mancha community.
It is a bite of Sephardic origin, deeply rooted in its tradition. With simple ingredients, they have managed to achieve a delicious sweet. So much so that there is an expression that speaks of the wonder of this dessert, “honey on flakes” to indicate that something is very good or has gone very well.
Although depending on the custom and the house where they are prepared, we can find them sprinkled with sugar or covered with honey, we opted for this second form, tastier and more natural if possible, as required by tradition and the most ancient custom.
I encourage you to try making them at home. This suggestion is one more to enjoy all the Carnival and Easter recipes you have on the blog.
Preparation of the flake dough
- In a bowl add the egg, the lemon zest, the anise and the extra soft virgin olive oil.
- To calculate the amount of anise and extra virgin olive oil, we will use half an egg shell (clean and medium-sized) as a measuring cup. The measure is 25 ml. if you don’t want to use the shell.
- Add the equivalent of ½ shell filled with anise and the same amount of olive oil to the bowl.
- We beat well and we incorporate the flour little by little.
- We work the dough, first with a fork and then with our hands.
- We must achieve a soft, smooth and soft texture, that sinks easily when pressing with a finger and that does not stick to the hands at any time.
- We let the dough rest 30 minutes before continuing the process.
Shape and fry the flakes
- Once we have the dough ready we begin to prepare the flakes. We take a small portion, the size of half a walnut.
- We place the ball of dough on a work surface and stretch it with a rolling pin. We must try to have a language as thin as possible.
Frying and final presentation of the flakes with honey
- In a frying pan we heat abundant oil. When the oil is very hot, add the flakes.
- We cook the flakes taking care that they do not burn us. For this it is necessary that we are regulating the temperature of the oil as we cook them on both sides.
- When the flakes are golden, remove them to a tray with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Once the flakes are cold we place them on the serving tray as we water them with honey.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for fried flakes . Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for perfect flakes
- If you see that it is a lot of dough and you want to make it for another day, the dough can be frozen, tightly wrapped in a zip bag to avoid odors.
- To fry the flakes we have used extra soft virgin olive oil, but you can also use sunflower oil. Extra virgin olive oil better resists frying temperatures.
- I recommend an oil temperature of between 175 to 180º C. Thus, frying is very easy to control. Better fry in a deep fryer or in a saucepan or wide frying pan with enough oil so that they are submerged.
- To keep the temperature constant, we will add a few flakes at a time since if we add a lot, the temperature drops and they absorb more oil.
- When they are golden, we can remove them to an absorbent paper if we are going to eat them immediately.