- 30 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 315kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a potato omelette . The national tortilla contest says that this year the queen of all potato tortillas is in Galicia (Betanzos), so what about thinking of tortilla?
The description of the best omelette in Spain according to the experts of the national potato omelette contest is summarized in two sentences:
“Omelette with the best products of its land” , and “Getting the egg to retain its properties of flavor, color and aroma thanks to a careful preparation in which the beaten egg is just right and the hot potato, thanks to precooking , they allow the juicy egg to end up flooding the plate ” .
My description coincides with the first sentence: Potatoes from my father’s garden , free-range eggs, white onion (yes, onion), a little salt and a good, very hot extra virgin olive oil.
Mimo and a lot of love. So I assure you that it is impossible for you to go wrong. The ingredients and the art with which this simple dish must be prepared come to national debate.
What if Galician potatoes or not, thin, thick or in just the right size, for 10 or for two, with free-range eggs, chicken eggs, small, XL, curd, almost liquid, well compacted, cold or hot, where a fork, which you have to eat with a spoon, with or without onion … we have something for everyone.
If also you like to innovate in the field of tortillas, you can find in the various blog types on the basis of ” Spanish La ” from a stuffed tortillas , the famous countrywoman omelet , an omelet onion, of cod , a Galician style with turnip tops and chorizo , an omelette with Boletus … even a vegetable omelette , many ideas so that everyone has their favorite type of omelette.
I am not going to present you a unique and universal Spanish omelette recipe , it is clear that this is my recipe, the one from home that my mother taught me.
Because the best omelette is that of a dad or a mom, that of the grandmother, that of the house, that of the bar of a lifetime with that well-thrown cane that makes it supreme, that of breakfast with coffee with milk in a glass, that of Picnics in summer, the one you have had at the beach bar with a good cover of Russian salad , yours or mine.
I only provide one more, and you who are omelettes with or without onions ? I hope you like it!
Preparation of the Spanish omelette
- We peel the potatoes, we wash them to remove dirt and very importantly, we dry them.
- We cut into semi-thin sheets, I do not like them to fall apart but when they are fried, they toast a little. We put them in a large bowl, where we will then mix with the egg and add salt to taste. Stir well and reserve.
- We chose our largest, non-stick frying pan. We put it on the fire and add a good extra virgin olive oil.
- Do not be afraid to spend a little money on oil, it will give you that point of flavor that distinguishes your omelette from the others, you can use many varieties: arbequina, picual, cornicabra, hojiblanca, royal … the one you like the most, but quality.
- We introduce the cut and already salted potatoes and let them cook for approximately twenty minutes over low heat.
- The theme of the thickness of the potatoes also goes to taste. There are those who prefer to cut them into very small pieces, in very thin sheets that almost break when frying and or rather large.
- While the potatoes are being fried, in the bowl where we are going to put the potatoes later we beat the eggs, we reserve.
- Peel the onion and cut as thin as possible.
- In another frying pan, heat olive oil and add the onion pieces.
- We poach until it has a golden color, it has a caramelization point but without burning. The onion will be done before the potatoes, so drain and add to the bowl with the beaten egg.
Final preparation of the potato omelette with onion
- I leave you with a trick that will give the omelette a different and very rich touch, it is totally optional.
- If you have caramelized onion in the fridge or want to make it, substitute the poached onion for the caramelized onion. It will be impressive.
- Remove with a slotted spoon from the pan, leaving the potatoes with as little oil as possible, well drained.
- If we do not want any extra oil we can use a large strainer. We let them drain and then we put them in the bowl with the onion and the egg.
- We rest the future omelette for 15 minutes so that all the flavors come together well. After those minutes this mixture is already delicious, try to toast some bread and add a capita with this mixture, incredible.
- In the same pan in which we have fried the potatoes and once the oil has been removed. We cook the mixture that we have at rest. I like it little cooked, that when you break it with the fork a little liquid egg comes out.
- For this type of omelette we only need 4 minutes over medium-high heat on each side. It depends on how curd we want the omelette to be.
- To turn it around I use a large flat plate that I have for salads. But you can use a plain edge cover, even now I have seen that they sell special covers to flip the omelette.
- Use the most comfortable and easiest method for you so that you do not scatter yourself carefully. Do not despair if it does not come out, in which case you will have a more curdled omelette, but just as delicious.
Perfect for a light dinner, a party or just because. You can see all the photos of the step by step of the Spanish potato omelette .
Tips for a yummy potato omelette
- My omelette has always been, and will be, with onion, I warn you because I know that not everyone likes it. If you don’t want it, you just have to follow the recipe without it.
- To all those who have asked me for the recipe by email, and most of you are from outside Spain, I recommend the sweet touch that the onion gives. The first test that is with it, the next one of your choice.
- The choice of potatoes is super important. We have different types of potatoes, some are very good to cook. Others for roasting and white Kennebec-type potatoes are best for frying and getting the best texture in the omelette.
- If you want to improve your omelette this is an easy way and it will be much richer, choose a quality potato.
- The oil from the making of the omelette can be used for other recipes since the potatoes leave almost no flavor in the extra virgin olive oil.
- The subject of the interior of the omelette is the one that generates the most controversy in Spain, that exact point of cooking of the potato, the precise amount of egg, the combination of fires and the cooking time.
- I only leave mine for you to try, you make it according to your custom, more or less curdled, to the taste of each one. At your choice it is but delicious … sure!