- 105 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 4 / person
- 220kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a seafood recipe . I do not know if you will agree with me, I am of the opinion that recipes with legumes are the most useful at home, in addition to being a sure hit, it is a very nutritious option on the weekly menu.
If we want a Sunday recipe we only have to add some clams, the result is more than healthy, it is outstanding, we turn them into seafood that is almost as good with some beans with clams . The amount of recipes that we can prepare with beans are almost infinite and perfect for day to day. Although we must take into account the time, if we do not have an express pot (about 45 minutes) it is a 2-hour cook, so I advise you to prepare them the day before.
I do not know if the same thing will happen to you, but I love bean recipes, always, good account of it gives my girl and of course you, because there are a few on the blog. Don’t ask me why, but those kinds of dishes remind me of winters when I was a child and my mother cooked delicious spoon dishes for us to get warm after spending the whole morning playing outside. The ones that my mother used to make were beans with chorizo , a recipe a little more for everyday, just delicious.
Today’s recipe could not be easier to prepare, for it we have chosen some white beans that we have left to soak throughout the night so that they soften and are easier to cook and we accompany them with rich clams that provide that flavor to sea how well spoon dishes do. Incidentally, this legume is also delicious in cold dishes such as the bean salad with cod that you can find on the blog.
It goes without saying that the quality of the clams and the beans is decisive for the result of this recipe, so it is worth choosing them with care. Either way it is a very cheap and easy to prepare dish full of fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins. As if that were not enough, accompanied by a good bread to dip in the sauce it becomes a real delicacy.
Before cooking the beans
- Remember that the only preparation we have to do beforehand is to leave the beans in water overnight. You should not use the soaking water and wash them well.
- As I have bought some dried white beans, vacuum packed, it is necessary to soak them the day before, the day before.
- At least they should be about 10-12 hours in warm water, with a handful of salt, and that completely cover the legumes.
- Before starting with the recipe, wash them with water to remove impurities.
- By the way we check if there are any spoiled or too hard beans. In this way we will avoid encountering it in the pot.
Preparation of the base of these beans
- We put the clams in salt water two hours before cooking, changing the water a couple of times at least.
- We put the beans that we have reserved in a saucepan, add the previously washed bay leaf and the parsley.
- We cover everything with water and cook it for an hour and a half.
- In case of using the pressure cooker it is best to consult the manufacturer’s instructions. Although the time will be reduced to approximately half an hour.
- It is not advisable to stir them with wooden spoons or with any other utensil so that they do not peel, if we have to move them better, shake the pot a little.
- Remember that you have to break the boil as in the Asturian fabada . What our grandmothers call “scaring the beans” consists of removing the casserole from the fire for a few minutes. We can also add cold water to the boiling water when it starts to catch a lot of temperature.
- In this way we avoid breaking the beans and thus reduce the gas-producing oligosaccharides as much as possible.
- This process is valid for the entire cooking process of our beans, not just for cooking them.
Preparation of the vegetables to accompany the beans
- Peel and cut the onion into small pieces. We poach it with a drizzle of virgin olive oil in a saucepan large enough to end up adding all the ingredients to it.
- When the onion starts to brown, add the finely chopped garlic head and fry it for a couple of minutes more.
- We place the drainer on a bowl or similar so as not to waste the cooking water. We drain the beans over it.
- We toss them over the sautéed onion and garlic. We cover them with the cooking water, reserving a tablespoon and stir carefully so as not to undo them. We lower the heat to a minimum.
- In a frying pan and with a tablespoon of olive oil, lightly toast the saffron threads. We put them in a mortar and lightly mash them there. Add the tablespoon of the cooking water, stir and add the mixture to the beans.
- We also add a tablespoon of corn flour (corn starch) to the casserole. Season with salt and pepper.
Preparation of the clams
- A couple of hours before starting to cook, we put the clams in salt water that we will change two or three times before using them. If we cook them overnight they will be calmer and richer, but don’t worry because they are delicious on the same day.
- Drain the clams and place them in a small saucepan to immediately cover them with a glass of white wine. Cook them with the lid on until they open (5-6 minutes).
- When all or almost all the clams have opened, we discard those that remain closed and the rest, along with a couple of tablespoons of their juice, we add them to the casserole with the beans.
- We cook everything 3-4 minutes more, over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest a little before serving.
Presentation of our marinated bean stew
- We already have our beans a la marinera … The most recommended is to serve them in a bowl-shaped deep plate to be able to place a base of beans, fill with the broth and place the clams on top.
- As a final touch we can sprinkle a little chopped parsley. I know it takes time, but more or less like almost all dishes with vegetables. The wait is worth it, I assure you.
- We just need to enjoy this simple but delicious recipe with the best of the garden and the sea, all in the same bite!
- Remember that the only preparation we have to do beforehand is to leave the beans in water overnight. A couple of hours before starting to cook, put the clams in salted water that we will change two or three times before using them.
- If we cook them overnight they will be calmer and richer, but don’t worry because they are delicious on the same day.
You can see all the photos of the step by step recipe of beans in the sea in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.
Tips and recommendations for perfect seafood beans.
- If we don’t have time to cook the beans, we can buy them in canned and boiled. Please be of high quality if we do not want to spoil the recipe. So we have them ready to add. We would put them at the end over low heat so that they do not break and spoil our sea stew.
- The cooking time of stews with legumes is not an exact science. It will always depend on how “tender” they are, the variety, the water, etc.
- The times that I give you are indicative. Adapted to the dried beans I had at home, so you will have to calculate based on your stew.
- Unless we want a very very stewed stew, the volume of water to be added will be about 3 times the volume of dry legumes.
- We can add more sea flavor if we have a broth or fumet stored (or we do) and enhance the broth resulting from making the clams. The broth is the key to the flavor of a good stew or bean.
- If you want to vary this stew, you can add some prawns or prawns and get more power, although it will be a little more expensive.
- When making the fumet, you can also use the shells of some prawns or shrimp (and their heads), you will give more intensity to your rice and more seafood flavor. I explain it to you in the post of the broth or shrimp fumet .
- The rest that I usually recommend in this type of preparation is 10 minutes. Important for all the sea flavors to rest and mix well.