- 15 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
Mussels in vinaigrette are one of the tapas or appetizers par excellence in Spain and they are also really simple to prepare, so simple that it is impossible for them not to come out.
This week I was craving mussels and by the way I had to buy them for the empanadas course, so I took the opportunity to prepare them with that touch of vinaigrette that I am passionate about. We must use good quality mussels , and in this case I always recommend “Mexillón” from Galicia , a safe value at any time.
It is considered the best in the world, due to the nutrients in the Rías Gallegas water . This recipe is very simple and grateful, with that taste of the sea that Galician mussels give us, it is very important that they are of quality and in my opinion those from my land are the best.
Do not stop consuming them because it is a cheap seafood and full of possibilities, you have many ways to prepare them such as Tigers or mussels croquettes or a Mussels Empanada , a delicious recipe for pasta with mussels and mushrooms or this Cod with mussels cream that removes hiccups … and many more recipes that I will present to you throughout this year.
This time I have prepared them Galician style and they only have vegetables from my father’s garden , full of flavor, the vinaigrette with a good extra virgin olive oil and the mussels from the land.
If you want to give it another touch, on the blog you have the recipe for mussels with trampó , a Mallorcan recipe very similar to these vinaigrette mussels. You see how easy it is to enjoy this cheap and tasty mollusk.
I hope you like them and dare to prepare them, do not forget to accompany them with a very cool beer, the best drink for a good vinaigrette.
Preparation of the mussels
The main thing for this recipe to be a success is its ingredients, that the mussels are Galician and of quality.
- The mussels must be fresh, if we are not going to consume them on the same day we must leave them in a container with cold water as long as possible before their future cooking, changing the water every six hours approximately.
- We wash and drain the mussels very well in cold water and remove all the impurities that come in the bag, if we have had it in the water it is not necessary because they will all have been released.
- We heat a glass of water in a large saucepan and when the water begins to boil add a bay leaf and then the mussels. We add a generous stream of white wine, Ribeiro or Albariño, and a few grains of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- We leave them cooking 3 minutillos and as soon as they are all open we remove them with a slotted spoon. Let cool and reserve on a plate. We are not going to throw the cooking water, strain it and leave it in a glass.
- We remove the mussels helped by a good knife, we drag the whole mussel until the interior is clean. We clean well the filaments and the broken shells that remain stuck to the mussel. We reserve the mussels on one side and the shells on the other.
- We can present the mussels with or without shell. In this case I prepared a lot and stored them without shell with the vinaigrette in the fridge.
Preparation of the vinaigrette and final presentation
- We wash all the vegetables and dry. Peel the onion, chives and tomatoes. We chop all the ingredients very small, they have to be very fine.
- Mix everything in a bowl and add a little chopped parsley and salt to taste. We remove everything well bringing together the flavors of the vegetables. I like the proportion and vegetables that you see in the recipe but this is to taste, if you like leeks, capers … imagination to power.
- For the vinaigrette of these mussels I recommend the classic vinaigrette, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. In a glass add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- We introduce the extra virgin olive oil and the aged vinegar from Jerez. The vinegar in this case is a very rich one that came in Nadal’s basket, but everyone can use whatever they please, that is, according to your tastes.
- This vinegar provides more perfume than acidity, with which the vinaigrette not only tastes delicious but smells great. Finally, stir vigorously with a fork until it is tied. We reserve before mixing.
- Add the vinaigrette to the bowl with the vegetables, mix well together all the flavor. In addition, this process helps preserve vegetables for almost a week, as long as you have this mince in the fridge. And of course, in this way the vegetables remain crisp and with an incredible flavor.
- You can present them like a salad, all on a plate without its shell, or each mussel in an empty shell and when they are all placed we put the mince to the vinaigrette that we have reserved helping us with a spoon. Rich rich.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for delicious tapas, snacks and pinchos for an unforgettable evening with yours.