- 120 minutes
- For 8 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 265kcal per 100g.
How to make lamb with mustard and mint . Although cooking a leg of lamb in the oven is a hassle-free operation, like everything in the kitchen it has its crux.
To ensure the success of this meat recipe , the first, and perhaps most important, is to have quality meat.
From this point on, we can only let our imagination run wild to decorate the meat with flavors that complement and enrich it. Today I bring you the recipe for lamb with mustard and mint .
It involves marinating the meat with a mixture of English mustard, a good bunch of mint leaves and some vegetables. This dressing gives the meat a different and special flavor that, in my opinion, is potent.
It is a very simple recipe that we can prepare without effort, we will only have to leave the meat in marinade in advance and then control its roast so that it stays at its point depending a little on the size of the piece.
You also have other options to prepare different types of lamb, one of the most successful recipes is the lamb stew with potatoes , the most famous of the stews in most of the town festivals I know, although the lamb shoulder roasted at Fine herbs like baked goat are one of those year-round family Sunday meals or roasts.
Very simply we have a different proposal for a special occasion. We can prepare a leg of lamb in the oven with a different touch, mustard and mint, which will give it different flavors. They will make us enjoy this tasty meat in a very different way than the traditional one.
Before putting the lamb in the oven. Dressing
- We clean the leg of lamb from the remains of fat that are visible and reserve.
- In a bowl we mix the rest of the ingredients, chopping the onion, the garlic cloves and the mint leaves. Mix well and spread the meat with this marinade.
- We allow the meat to marinate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
Baked lamb with mustard and mint
- The first thing we will do is preheat the oven to a high temperature, the highest in your home oven, in my case around 250º C. So that when you put the lamb in, it doesn’t have to be cooked in a cold environment. Heat up and down.
- With the previously hot oven we bake for 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours. We lower the oven temperature from 250º C to 180º C, remember that it must have heat above and below without air.
- During the process we can see how the meat is dripping with the juice of the dressing and its own juice.
- For this size and weight we will bake a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remember that the piece I have prepared weighed 1.8 kilos. Bake with the inside of the leg up for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- In that 1 hour and 45 minutes we must hydrate the meat about 6 times, approximately every 17-18 minutes. It will be the best way to get a perfect and yummy lamb, in fact it will look perfectly when you need liquid, the lamb almost asks for it.
Final baking and presentation of the roasted lamb
- In the middle of the process we will turn the leg of lamb.
- The last 20 minutes of baking we turn the leg and place the outside of the piece up. Thus we will get a lamb with an impressive pint.
- We raise the temperature to 190º C and return to water with its own sauce. With this method we will get the skin of the leg to be crisp, while the inside will be very juicy.
- At the end of the total time we remove from the oven and serve on the table.
- For the carving we will take the leg (with a rag) by the part of the bone that protrudes and with a well sharpened knife we will remove portions of meat following the shape of the leg, until we finally reach the bone.
- We serve the meat filleted and accompanied by some given potatoes or baker potatoes . At home it is always accompanied also with a green salad.
We will have a varied and healthy menu with a different and delicious flavor.
Remember that you can follow the step by step photos of this recipe for baked lamb with mustard and mint in the next album.