- 120 minutes
- For 10 people
- 2.5 € / person
- 240kcal per 100g.
How to make a stuffed meat roll or Roti.
There are many meat recipes that remind me of my mother’s youth and cooking, and this is one of them.
I used to prepare it when there was something to celebrate, at Christmas , on an anniversary and birthday or when my grandmothers came to eat at home and wanted to show off.
I remember thinking how complicated it must be to make a stuffed roll of meat, without the slightest suspicion of how easy it really was. But the fact of being a dish with a certain cache at home led me to see it like that.
Today I realize the innocence of my thoughts, which came from the utmost ignorance, and I feel nostalgic for that time when I prepare recipes like this stuffed meat roll that has no complications although, yes, it is somewhat laborious.
Perhaps the most unfriendly part of the recipe is to toast the meat roll so that it does not fall apart during cooking. You have to have practice and be careful or a trustworthy and friendly butcher who gives us a piece of mesh with which to wrap the meat.
If you are lucky enough to have the second, the thing is sucked. If this is not the case, you can always take a look at the many videos that are on the internet to help you with the task.
The filling is versatile and you can adapt it to your liking, on the blog you have an example of this veal stuffed with egg, olives and bacon .
You could say that there are as many fillings as there are cooks, some of them put eggs, ham, caramelized onions and even minced meat. Others opt for bacon, nuts and dried fruits (prunes, dried apricots, raisins, etc).
Put what you like best or what you have on hand, but do not stop making the stuffed meat roll following my instructions because you are going to love it. In addition we have published a special with tips to make the perfect stuffed meat , yummy. Do not miss it.
Preparation of the veal. Before starting the recipe
- Before starting with the preparation of this recipe, we thoroughly clean the meat of any remaining fat left by our butcher attached to the open veal needle.
- We trim the edges to give the piece a square shape. We save the clippings to make another elaboration.
Preparation of the meat filling
- We start by preparing the filling ingredients and, for this, we grate the Manchego cheese.
- Drain the piquillo peppers well, dry them with kitchen paper, remove the seeds and finely chop them. Finally, we wash the spinach, remove the stems and cut them.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and add the grated Manchego cheese, the chopped pepper and the chopped spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic salt and breadcrumbs. We stir well until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
Roll up the veal and seal
- We place the veal on a table, salt and pepper and spread the filling mixture on it, leaving the top strip uncovered.
- We roll the meat and bridle, that is, we tie with twine thread so that it does not come apart during cooking, from start to finish of the roll as you see in the photos.
- We take a wide frying pan in which the meat roll fits and heat a little extra virgin olive oil.
- We seal the meat roll, on high heat, on all sides before transferring it to a pressure cooker.
- Peel and cut the carrots, the garlic clove and the onion and add them to the pot with the meat roll.
- We water with white wine and meat stock (optional). Cook over high heat for a few minutes so that the alcohol evaporates.
Cooking and presentation of the meat roll
- We close the pot and cook for 30 minutes with the valve in position 2.
- After this time we wait for the steam to come out completely before opening the pot, removing the meat roll and removing the twine thread.
- We let it rest so that it is easier to cut and it does not fall apart in the process.
- Meanwhile, crush the carrots, onion and garlic clove with a hand mixer.
- We pass through a Chinese or fine mesh strainer and place again on the fire.
If the sauce is too thick, we add a little meat stock or water and keep warm over a low heat until we cut the meat and serve.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for the meat roll . Do not miss any detail so that you get a delicious dessert.