- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.25 € / person
- 140kcal per 100g.
How to make a mashed potato .
That the potato is one of the quintessential accompaniments of our gastronomy, is an indisputable fact.
Whether French fries , baked, fried potatoes , stewed potatoes , potatoes to the oven , potatoes importance , stuffed potatoes , accompanied by salsa , in salad or just for a party , potatoes accompany us in many of our recipes.
One of the most classic ways of preparing potatoes as an accompaniment, is the simple and at the same time delicate mashed potatoes .
Despite being a quick and easy recipe, we don’t always get a perfect texture or flavor when preparing a homemade mashed potato.
So I want to leave you with a series of guidelines to follow to get a perfect mashed potato, how to make the best mashed potato.
Choice of potato type
- As a first step when preparing a good mashed potato , we have to make the decision to choose the type of potato . It is important that the chosen variety has a quantity of starch, of the floury type.
- Within this group we have the Baraka, Kennebec or Monalisa which, due to the amount of starch they provide, will help us achieve a creamier puree.
- It is important that we do not use waxy potatoes that may be better for frying.
- Another point to consider is the time of the potato, the ideal is that they are neither new nor too old.
How to cook potatoes
- We must cook the potatoes whole, without peeling and trying to make them all the same size.
- On the one hand we will cook them with skin to avoid that the cooking water enters the potato leaving it a little watery, which would be detrimental to the final texture of the mash.
- We must try, as far as possible, that they are all the same size, since the cooking point of a large potato will be different from that of a small potato at the same time.
- The bigger potatoes will be a little raw or the small ones will be overcooked.
- We should cook the potatoes by introducing them in a saucepan and covering them with slightly salty cold water.
- We will cook them for about 30 minutes, depending a little on the size of the potatoes we have chosen.
- We can check that the potatoes are in their right place when punctured with a knife they do not offer resistance. They allow us to prick them and remove the knife without breaking it.
How to Shred Potatoes
- Once we have the potatoes perfectly cooked and drain them from the cooking water.
- With a sharp knife and while still hot, we remove the outer skin.
- When crushing them is a point to take into account when obtaining a smooth, creamy potato mash without lumps.
- We can use a potato masher, a utensil designed specifically for this type of preparation. A classic mash or even a simple fork, always treating the potato hot. And only what is necessary, without overworking it.
- What is not recommended is that we use an electric mixer or any type of food processor.
- These appliances will mistreat the potato starch causing the final texture of the mash to be chewy.
How to incorporate butter, salt and milk
- When incorporating the butter, it is important that it is at room temperature.
- This way it will be easier to incorporate it into the potatoes and we will avoid having to work them excessively to integrate them.
- Butter will be easier to melt, with the heat of the potato if we use it at room temperature than if it were cold.
- We must heat the milk before adding it to the potatoes. It will help it stay perfectly combined and result in a creamier puree.
- Although we have already cooked the potato with some salt. It is at this time when we can check if it has risen enough or it is necessary to complete the amount.
- That is why it is important that we do not cook the potatoes with an excessive amount of salt.
- It is preferable to stay a little short and then rectify the amount at the end of the process.
Be sure to enjoy these simple recipes in our recipes with potatoes .
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album .
How to serve and preserve mashed potatoes
- Something fundamental if what we want is to serve the best possible mashed potatoes, is to do it at the right time. That is, as soon as possible once we have it ready.
- This is a preparation that should not wait for the rest of the meal. It will be at its point if we consume it freshly prepared.
- If we have had to prepare it in advance. The way to keep it warm is to keep it in a bain-marie over low heat, taking the precaution of covering it with a transparent film or a kitchen cloth.
- If what has happened is that we have left over from one meal to another. We can keep it in the fridge for up to 48 hours, taking the precaution of covering its surface with a transparent film.
- The plastic must be completely glued to the top layer of the mash. This will prevent it from drying out.
- At the time of putting it back to the table, we will heat it in a bain-marie, covering it with a thin layer of milk, stirring it until it is integrated.
How to make variations of our traditional mashed potato
- We can make a fun and original mashed potato by adding various ingredients to the basic mix.
- Incorporating an egg yolk will enrich the mixture and add creaminess.
- We can also incorporate a different touch if we add a pinch of some type of grated cheese that is creamy and with a characteristic flavor.
- A tablespoon of thyme, basil or fresh parsley and very minced will leave us a mashed potato of category.
- After all these guidelines I am convinced that making the best mashed potatoes will no longer have secrets for you.
- It only remains to put it into practice and enjoy a yummy mashed potato.