- Very easy
- 20 minutes
- For 4 people
- 0.75 € / person
- 276kcal per 100g.
How to make spinach in cream.
As much as Popeye himself eats them, most children (and many adults, too) don’t want to know anything about spinach.
They have a characteristic flavor that is not to everyone’s taste, but for me this vegetable is a real delicacy.
Both of you will enjoy what is beautiful with this recipe, spinach with cream, as you already did with other recipes, pasta with spinach and spinach with shrimp and tomato sauce .
The delicious dish that I present today can be tasted in two different ways, on the one hand the classic recipe, and on the other with an added touch of Parmigiano cheese gratin in the oven .
Once prepared we can freeze it without problem. It is also perfect to take to work at a tupper , and with a touch of microwave or oven heat we will be able to enjoy a rich and healthy meal.
To prepare the spinach with cream, basic ingredients that we always have at home will suffice, since the recipe is based on accompanying them with a bechamel sauce .
A recipe with fresh spinach very easy, healthy, and quick to prepare. I hope you like it and you are encouraged to prepare it at home. You will not regret it!
Preparation of creamy spinach
- We should not cook fresh spinach too much, to take better advantage of all its qualities.
- One of the options would be to cook them 7-8 minutes, but I prefer to sauté them in the pan.
- With the cooking they are less tender and more watery, however much we drain them.
- In a large skillet, pour the oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the fresh spinach and sauté, mixing the vegetables well with the oil.
- At first you will only see a large pile of spinach in the pan, but do not worry, little by little they will decrease in volume.
- It is important to stir evenly, so that they are all cooked equally. Its size will diminish a lot but they keep their deep dark green color.
Preparation of the bechamel sauce
- Once at this point, we are going to prepare a béchame l sauce on them, with a looser than thick “cream” texture.
- We sift the flour and sprinkle it on the vegetable, at the same time that we mix with a wooden spoon.
- We want the well-known “ roux ” to form, like when we prepare the typical bechamel. In just 2 minutes it will have a golden hue and be ready.
- Now we pour the milk little by little, stirring without stopping, so that the desired “cream” is created.
- We add salt, black pepper and nutmeg (optional), all to the taste of each one.
- We continue cooking until we get a homogeneous béchamel, without lumps and slightly thick, with a creamy appearance.
- We remove from the heat and empty the cream with spinach on individual plates or bowls. Let stand a couple of minutes and serve hot on the table.
Preparation and final presentation of spinach in cream
- So far it would be the process for the traditional recipe. If we want to give it a tastier touch, the other option would be with cheese and baked gratins .
- For this option it is better to pour all the cream with spinach in a single source. Grate Parmesan cheese (or another similar that you like) directly on the cream.
- We preheat the oven to 180º C for 5 minutes. We introduce the tray with our spinach on top with the grill or gratin function for another 5 minutes.
- They are enough for the cheese to melt and acquire a golden and crisp tone.
- We have to control that it does not burn us, we want us to have a layer with a golden tone and at the same time, crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve as is, very warm on the table.
Although prepared in this way, with bechamel sauce and cheese, it is a good way to introduce the vegetables to the little ones of the house.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for creamy spinach . Do not miss any detail.
Tips for some yummy spinach
- Spinach is a vegetable with impressive nutritional qualities. Rich in vitamins, fibers and minerals, it also provides us with protein, its amount of fat is minimal and it is an excellent antioxidant.
- The varieties that are produced the most are “curly leaves” and “smooth leaves” . The latter are the ones used for freezing and canning.
- Its best time for consumption is in winter and spring season.
- You will also find the “baby spinach” with a smooth and small leaf, ideal for salads given its sweeter flavor.
- When you go to buy them, choose the ones that have a bright green color, fresh and with firm stems . Discard those that have yellow tones or are deteriorated.
- Once at home, they will hold us for 6-7 days in the fridge, stored in a plastic bag. To freeze them you can choose to do it raw or after a light and brief blanching.