- 15 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.75 / person
- 255kcal per 100g.
Tomato salad with pesto sauce and cheese. As the Italians say, tomato carpaccio . I present you an easy, tasty and eye-catching salad recipe .
A tomato salad that is a traditional typically Italian appetizer, in which a preparation technique called carpaccio is used, which consists of cutting into thin sheets, originally meat, but which can be used for almost any food from vegetables to fish .
This recipe shows the contrast of flavor and texture. A sweet taste and a bit tart of the tomato with the contrast of a good Parmesan cheese and Italian pesto . I who have tried it I can assure you that it is vice, you can even vary the sauce with a touch of pesto rosso , which accompanies these tomatoes in luxury.
I leave you with this simple, fast salad that combines both an Italian-style dinner and a barbecue with a good piece of steak.
Preparation of tomato carpaccio
- To prepare a carpaccio we have to use a very sharp knife or a mandolin to cut the Raf tomatoes.
- It is very important that we be very careful and that the slices are as thin as possible (approximately 3 millimeters).
- We wash the tomatoes very well, cut and place on a separate plate. We reserve for the final assembly and season the tomato loaches.
- We cut very thin slices of Parmesan cheese using a potato peeler. We reserved on a separate plate. Be very careful with the salt, since the Parmesan cheese is strong and somewhat salty.
- Crush the basil, garlic, pine nuts and 50 g in a mortar. Parmesan. It does not have to be very chopped, so that there are pieces when trying it. Add salt and pepper to taste and lastly, mix with a good extra virgin olive oil.
- Add a little pesto over the tomato and place the Parmesan Reggiano slabs on top.
- Decorate with a couple of cherry tomatoes and accompany with the rest of the Italian pesto in a sauce boat.
- Serve at room temperature or allow to cool slightly in the refrigerator.
Curiosities about the Raf tomato
- This type of tomato, the Raf, is a variety or crop of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum).
- Obtained from the artificial selection practiced on traditional tomatoes that have been planted outdoors since 1969, so it is not a hybrid tomato.
- Its origin is in the Vega de Almería. The most characteristic variety of these traditional tomatoes is “muchomiel”. The raf stands out for its flavor and texture as well as its resistance to saline waters.
- The name raf refers to the acronym for Fusarium Resistant. This resistance to fusarium was one of the causes of its popularization in greenhouse cultivation where the productions of the traditional much-honey were not sufficiently adapted.