- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 3 / person
- 255kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a rabbit stew with mushrooms . Today my kitchen smells like countryside. This weekend I went for a walk in the mountains, it is finally a good time to pick mushrooms.
I was able to get some thyme branches and some rosemary, although now you can get them in any market or supermarket, there are no excuses to have these aromatics at home. As I have some other recipe with rabbit and I do not want them to spoil, I will prepare rabbit with mushrooms , with thyme and rosemary I will give more flavor, joy and aroma to the stew.
The rabbit is an expensive product in relation to the amount of meat that is obtained from it, follow the recommendations of your trusted butcher and that he recommends you which will be the best to cook and then it will be tender. If you buy it packaged, look for the one that puts rabbit in garlic , it will be the one with the most meat.
This meat must be left cooking for a long time so that it is tender. So the difficulty of this dish is minimal, but you have to be patient to get it right. If you are hunters and cannot bear to peel the rabbits, you can look for a butcher shop where they are prepared for your consumption, and remember that they save your liver, which prepared on the grill is delicious.
A simple and juicy dish, which can be prepared daily and for the whole family, since the alcohol in the wine evaporates during cooking and therefore there is no risk for children. And now, get the apron and cook.
Preparation of the mushrooms
- We wash the mushrooms and reserve. If you buy thistle mushrooms and they are very large, you can cut them to distribute well in the stew. This species releases a lot of water, so you have to leave them on the fire until it reduces.
- In a saucepan not very deep, we put a jet of extra virgin olive oil.
- Chop the onion and garlic and put it to cook. As always, I advise you to brown the onion a little first and then add the garlic, so that the latter does not burn.
- When the onion and garlic have poached, season the rabbit.
Preparation of the rabbit with mushrooms
- We add the rabbit to the casserole so that it browns well and cooks with the previous sofrito.
- We pour the white wine as soon as we see that the rabbit is changing color and let it reduce 4 minutes.
- Next we add a level scoop (brown size) of flour and dissolve it well in the stew so that there are no lumps. We keep on low heat about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, we chop a clove of garlic and brown it in a pan with a thread of oil.
- When it takes color, add the mushrooms. We sauté them until they release their juice and it is reduced. It will take about five minutes, over medium / low heat. We reserve.
- When the wine has reduced enough, add the meat stock.
- We rectify the point of salt and incorporate the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and sautéed mushrooms.
- Let it cook for 25-30 minutes over low heat, or until the meat is tender. The cooking time depends on the size of the pieces of meat. We rectify salt.
- If after time the rabbit is still a bit hard and there is no sauce left, add a little water and let it continue cooking until the meat is done. The secret of this stew lies in the tenderness of the meat.
- We serve very hot and with a little bread, the sauce in this recipe is great, I assure you.
- If you prepare it the day before, the best way to reheat it when consuming it is to use the same saucepan over very low heat, moving from time to time.
- It can be accompanied by some fried potatoes and with a salad we have a delicious unique dish.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album . A dish that you will love if you prepare it. I assure you.
Tips for a Rabbit with Suckling Mushrooms
- This rabbit stew is one of my favorites, and to avoid repeating myself much I try to vary the recipe and ingredients a little, you can find a variation with a rabbit stewed in beer . I recommend that you prepare this rabbit with mushrooms the day before its consumption, in this way the flavors will be more established.
- If you do not have thyme and fresh rosemary , you can substitute it for dry (although it will not give the same touch to the recipe). If you can’t get either, add one more bay leaf.
- At home we love the flavor that rosemary and thyme offer to this stew.
- Mushrooms also give it its particular country flavor, a dish worthy of the most demanding palate. You can also add a pinch of nutmeg and it will be spectacular, delicious.
- This recipe with varied mushrooms, is very rich, you can also use the mushrooms that you like.
- A perfect proposal as a unique dish or a great second, very healthy and with very little fat if we do not take the sauce. If we accompany it with a good salad it perfectly fulfills the functions of a single dish for a meal.