- 30 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
How to make a German salad .
The first time I tried this salad recipe was at the home of some German friends living in Madrid.
I liked it so much that I quickly asked the parents for the recipe so that I could prepare it one day at home and today I retrieve the original recipe for you. German potato and sausage salad.
This recipe with potatoes admits multiple variations in terms of ingredients. In fact, some people do not use sausages, rare, right ?, because precisely sausage is one of the most characteristic foods in this country.
Yes, the reality of this dish is the same as that of our free-range salad , which depends on the home where you eat it, you will find an ingredient more or less.
As I always say, in each house the food tastes different, because it must be prepared to the taste and preference of the family that is going to eat it.
And in terms of salads, it can be said that it is one of the families with the largest number of recipes. You have all kinds, starting with this of course, another proposal would be the Waldorf salad , a pasta salad or the original rice salad .
A super simple recipe that does not require any special skill in the kitchen. You only need a good knife and chop the ingredients. The rest will be to eat and enjoy! And if you want to accompany with a German sweet recipe do not forget that we have a lot of proposals.
The fine German pastry does not fail to seduce us on the blog, the famous Black Forest Cake , its delicious Kasekuchen cheese cake or its delicious apple Strudel .
Preparation of German potato and sausage salad
- First we peel the potatoes and put them to cook. They must be tender but they should not fall apart.
- If you prefer you can cook them with skin. This time I did it without the skin so as not to wait so long for them to cool before I can peel the potatoes.
- We cook the eggs . You can see all the tricks so that you have a delicious boiled eggs by following this video. Do not miss it.
Preparing the ingredients for the German salad
- Now we begin to chop the ingredients. Chop the celery, the olives, the chives, the apple, the pickles and the ham. The pieces that are not tiny, but also not giant, you have to be able to put a little of everything in each bite.
- We add the chopped ingredients to a large container to mix.
- When the eggs and potatoes are ready we let them cool and chop them. We chop the egg into small cubes and the potato as if it were a free-range salad.
- We pass the sausages through the pan and when they are ready we chop them into squares.
- We add all the ingredients to the container and add a little extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir well but carefully do not crush the potato. Now add the capers.
- In another container we mix the mayonnaise and the Dijon mustard. If you want to add a few drops of lemon, this would be the moment.
- Add the mayonnaise to the salad and mix carefully so that the potatoes are not mashed.
- Let cool, covered with film, for 1 hour and a half in the fridge and it will be ready to serve.
A perfect salad recipe to spend a fun time with the little ones at home.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for German salad . Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a German Pork Salad
- In my case, I prepared the dressing with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, which is how I ate it at my friends’ house. But the cook confessed to me that many times they seasoned it with salt, oil and vinegar, as is!
- In fact, I like to add a little salt and oil, regardless of whether I’m going to add the mayonnaise.
- The apple is an essential in this salad, because it will give you the sweet contribution that will compensate the sausage and the potato. In fact, you can put two apples if you see that it falls short, that will depend on the amount of potato that you are going to put.