- 165 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.6 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to make an orange chicken stew .
Today I am going to share this recipe that has pleasantly surprised me, when verifying the great possibilities that orange has in meat dishes.
On the blog I have already prepared many recipes with chicken , but the ingredient in this case is orange. Recipes such as the “ cod, orange and chive salad ” or the “ spaghetti with orange sauce and Dijon mustard ”, but where it has been most present is in desserts, especially thanks to chocolate .
As you can see, orange is one of my favorite fruits. It is exquisite, juicy, rich in minerals and vitamin C.
A good freshly squeezed orange juice accompanies me every morning, and makes me face the day with energy and “good vibes”. But beyond consuming them whole or in juice, their culinary applications are numerous, taking advantage of their aromatic skin and juicy meat. You only have to visit the blog, we have from a duck to the orange to various options with fish, a sea bass or a delicious bream .
In today’s recipe, I have used it for a chicken stew , a perfect white meat for cooking with fruit. I have previously marinated it and then cooked it in the juice, obtaining a spectacular orange flavor that will not leave you indifferent.
- The recipe starts a couple of hours before we start cooking. The most comfortable thing is to always have the chicken cut into pieces, which you will find ready-made or you can ask the butcher for it.
- If you opt for the counter thighs, cut them into 3 pieces of equal size, each one.
- From one of the oranges, we will remove the skin with a grater or a knife. If it has a white part inside, go over it and remove it.
- We cut the skin into thin strips and reserve it wrapped in plastic wrap or in a small tupper.
- We squeeze the oranges (4 units) to obtain 2 glasses of juice (approx. 400 ml.). In a high tray, arrange the chicken meat, and pour the juice on it.
- We will let it marinate for at least 2 hours, so that it adds flavor to the meat.
Preparation of the orange chicken base
- In a large saucepan, pour a sheet of extra virgin olive oil and heat.
- We pass the chicken pieces for flour, and fry them round and round, until they are browned on both sides. We reserve.
- Chop the onion into a fine “brunoise”, and the minced garlic clove. Add to the pan, poach in the same oil, over medium heat and for 10 minutes.
- When we see that the onion is almost transparent, we pour in the squeezed orange juice. We remove.
Cooking the chicken stew. Potatoes and final presentation
- We crush well with the mixer to get a homogeneous sauce, to which we also now add the orange peel that we had reserved.
- We wash and peel the potatoes. We chop them into irregular dice. We distribute the pieces of chicken meat through the casserole and the potatoes, which must be submerged in the juice.
- Cook over medium heat for 25 minutes until the potatoes are done.
- Halfway through cooking, we turn over the chicken pieces that are larger and are not completely covered by the orange sauce.
- A delicious orange chicken stew will turn out , with the meat very tender and juicy, and the sauce well reduced.
A show at the table with the intense flavor of orange. You will like kids and not so kids. They will leave the plate clean, I assure you.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of the orange chicken recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and you will get a perfect chicken stew.
Tips for a chubby orange chicken
- To save time and money, I usually have orange zest in a pot in the freezer. So I always have it on hand to flavor and accompany all kinds of dishes, to which it provides a very special exotic touch.
- One way to take advantage of those oranges that I use to make juice, give 2 uses to my oranges at home.
- Of course, if you use the skin of the orange, always remember to remove the white inner part, as it will add bitterness.
- Another good trick I do at home is to have a small glass jar with sugar and orange peel. With this I manage to aromatize it and then use it in pastry, and also to sweeten a tea or an infusion.
- Accompany this dish with some stewed potatoes as I show you in the step by step. Although you can make the stew without potatoes and accompany with fried potatoes or make a white rice as a garnish.
- White rice is perfect to mix with the sauce of the chicken stew and without realizing it you have made a great meal.