- 30 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 290kcal per 100g.
Discover how to make fried flowers, florets or rosette and flakes for Carnival or Easter.
This sweet typical of the dates of Carnival or Easter has a flower shape thanks to the iron mold we fry this dessert.
It belongs to the family of the ” frying pan fruits “, as well as the lemon or orange leaves and the Carnival ears , delicious crispy and fried doughs flavored with the citrus fruits that come with spring.
These flowers are traditional in La Mancha, Extremadura, Galicia and other areas of Spain and are known by many names: La Mancha flowers, Fleur de Lis, florets (which usually carry honey), rosette or the famous flakes (similar to flowers and ears) ).
The mold in the shape of a Fleur-de-Lis that you see in the photos is almost a family antique, it was from his mother, so imagine the carnival flowers that will have been made with it.
Like almost all good cooks, her recipe is by eye and depending on the flowers she needs, she makes more or less dough. He learned the recipe from his mother and on Carnival dates many afternoons were spent making flowers, pancakes and ears , as they are still done in many areas of Galicia.
In his last batch of flowers he has written down the exact amounts so that the recipe for yummy ones comes out to all of us.
Preparation of the flower dough
- We wash the lemons that we are going to choose to flavor our flowers, we dry.
- Grate the lemons without taking the white part of the lemon so that it does not become bitter and reserve.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until they are white. We reserve
- Add to the bowl with the eggs, milk, a pinch of salt, wheat flour, the zest of the lemons and the glass with the anise.
- We beat until we have a cream with a dense consistency similar to that of custard or pancakes. Neither thick nor liquid and very important, without lumps.
- A little rest would be good for this cream. It is not necessary but as in the case of pancakes, the cream settles and then is better.
- Half an hour is more than enough. A little trick to make them come out a little better.
Preparation of the flowers. Frying
- In order to make the flowers we must have a special iron mold in the shape of a flower, butterfly or star that you will find in hardware stores or kitchen stores.
- If it is good, it lasts a lifetime like churreras, surely you have seen the recipe for churros .
- Imagine that it is from the time of its mother and still continues to fulfill its function, surely for many more years.
- We put a deep frying pan or a casserole with plenty of sunflower oil and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot we put the mold for the flowers inside.
- When the mold is already very hot we introduce the mold in the cream but without reaching the edge, only one centimeter of its height more or less, this data is very important so that the flower comes off later without difficulty.
- We introduce the mold impregnated with the dough in the pan and rest it on the bottom of it and after a few seconds when lifting the mold.
- The carnival flower will come off and stay in the pan.
- At first, the first and second flowers tend to resist, so we slowly move the mold so that it comes off, the following ones come out on their own.
- When it is off, we leave it for a few moments to finish frying and take it out when it is golden.
- Dishwasher safe
- Diameter of 9 cm
- Suitable for making Florones, a typical Castilian sweet
- Made of inox
Final presentation of the flowers
- The process is very fast and we must control that the oil does not burn us because we have to ensure that the flowers are crisp and golden in color.
- This is achieved with the exact temperature of the oil. If there are remains of dough we remove them with the slotted spoon to avoid discomfort when frying.
- We only have to sprinkle with sugar to taste or as I like with a little icing sugar.
Let cool and taste cold, which is when they are crispiest, simply delicious.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for fried flowers . Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for some yummy flowers
- This recipe is to make a quantity of cream will give us about 48 flowers, as you can see so that no one is left without the desire to eat flowers, a dessert for the most larpeiros or sweet tooth.
- As a final trick, the mold should never be washed in a dishwasher. It is only kept in brown paper and in a plastic bag.
- If we put it in contact with water, the next time the dough would stick.
Last update on 2020-05-18 / Affiliate Links / API Images for Affiliates