- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 390kcal per 100g.
How to make coconut and coffee panellets .
For a few years we have been preparing our own panellets at home, especially the classic panellets or piers that my girl likes so much.
But this year we have decided to vary a bit, it is also very easy, with the base of the panellets they can be prepared with a more modern touch, like the ones I present today, coconut panellets and coffee panellets .
In Catalonia and Aragon, one of their most important gastronomic traditions is the Castañada , the night of October 31, that is, this same night in which the night of All Saints is celebrated.
In the Castañada chestnuts are collected in the field and the end of the harvest is celebrated, as in the Galician and Asturian Magostos , and prayed for the deceased. The typical drink of the Castañada is sweet wine or muscat.
I like to incorporate new traditions (wherever they come from), such as maintaining their own. So I don’t give up on preparing Halloween recipes and the classic All Saints recipes . Make them at home simply and quickly by following this recipe.
When you try them you will make them at home many times, I assure you, what are you waiting to prepare them?
Preparation of the panellets dough
- To prepare these 2 types of panellet we are going to prepare a marzipan dough (in this case without potato or sweet potato like the classic panellet) that we then separate into 2.
- Let’s grind the raw almonds in the mincer, it has to be like flour.
- You can also do it directly with the ground almond flour sold in supermarkets.
- We can make these panellets with potato or sweet potato, I give you the 2 options because in some places sweet potato is not easy to get.
- The two eggs are separated into whites and yolks (we leave them for another dessert). Now we beat the 2 whites in a bowl and add them to the dough with the almonds.
- Knead with your hands for several minutes until you get a homogeneous and compact dough.
- We can help ourselves with the help of a fork and then with our hands kneading for a few minutes. We separate the dough into 2.
Preparation of the panellets. Some coconut and others coffee
- To one of them we add the grated coconut one. We mix everything very well until the grated coconut is integrated with the marzipan.
- Wrap in transparent film and let it rest for a few hours.
- With the other part of the dough we do something similar, dilute the instant coffee in the water (always in cold water so that it does not add heat to the marzipan) and mix with the marzipan that we have reserved.
- You will see how it takes that dark color of coffee. We reserve in plastic film for a few hours.
- We just need to work the dough with the shapes that we like the most.
- I recommend the shape of coquitos or cocadas for coconut and shaped like coffee beans for coffee panellets, each piece of about 20 grams or so.
- We coat with the grated coconut that we have reserved for the coconut panellets (this step is optional).
Baking and final presentation of the coconut and coffee panellets
- We place the panellets on baking paper on a baking sheet.
- We make a small cut in the middle of coffee simulating a coffee bean (it is optional).
- Bake with the oven previously hot at 200ºC for 8-10 minutes, depending on the oven you have at home.
- When we see that they begin to brown, we cover them with aluminum foil so that they do not burn us on the outside.
- We remove to a rack and let cool.
We coat the coffee in icing sugar and present all together on a tray. Great!
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes . And remember that there is no chestnut without “Panellets” Happy Chestnut!
You can see all the step by step photos of this recipe for coconut and coffee panellets in this album.
Tips for some yummy panellets
- We can find panellets in most of the pastry shops in Catalonia with all kinds of ingredients, pistachios, almonds , orange, brown glace, chocolate, coffee, coconut … imagination to be able to surprise at home.
- Today’s are an idea of my last visit to Barcelona around this time. So we leave you the formula to make coffee and coconut panellets , with it about 40 panellets come out, depending on how fat you make them. Do not go over, they are forceful and it is better to take them in small bites.
- I recommend that when preparing the panellet dough you do it with raw almond, your panellets will have more almond flavor. Purchased almond flour tends to be much less flavorful.
- Remember that as in all marzipan preparations, the panellets dry easily, so they must be stored in an airtight container.
- In any case, as they are perfect it is on the same day that they are prepared.