- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.2 € / person
- 406kcal per 100g.
How to make a homemade croissant . I know that in my case it is not worth saying that I am not very dessert recipes , that I prefer salty rather than sweet, the truth is that I am a good tooth and I will not deny it.
The thing is that, from time to time, I feel like something to kill the bug and I feel like preparing it at home. This is what happened to me with these amazing croissants.
The croissant, from the French croissant , owes its name to the meaning of the French word. In other words, its literal translation is crescent , referring to the lunar crescent, due to the characteristic shape of this bun. It is one of the emblematic preparations of French pastry, although its origin is considered as typical of the Ottoman people.
Today I will explain its preparation for any type of puff pastry . That is, the way in which we must cut the dough and how to fold it to achieve its characteristic shape. Although we can prepare them quickly and without hassle by buying a plate of puff pastry. This time I have curled the curl and made them with homemade fermented puff pastry.
The result has been absolutely incredible, I assure you. So much so that I think it will take me a little while to repeat the experience, it can’t be that I alone, and without anyone stopping me, will take me 3 croissants one after another, my goodness, they were good.
Preparation of the puff pastry base
- To start this recipe what we have to have is a plate of fermented puff pastry , the ideal to make this type of puff pastry. If you want to prepare it at home you can see the recipe on the blog at this link .
- Of course I recommend that you dare to prepare it. Although it is laborious and you will have to be patient. It is not a difficult recipe and the result is infinitely better than any pre-made dough we can buy.
- Whichever option you opt for once we have the puff pastry ready. What we have is to prepare our templates for croissant.
Preparation of a croissant or croissant
- On a sheet of paper we draw a triangle with a base of 9 cm. and height 26 cm. cut with scissors. So we already have the template ready to make some great croissants.
- If the dough is bought it already comes more or less with a thickness of ½ cm. so we don’t have to do anything to it.
- If we have prepared the dough ourselves. We stretch it with a rolling pin until it reaches that thickness. We place the template on the dough and we cut the triangles of its shape to cover the entire surface.
- We take one of the triangles and, with a knife we give a cut of 3 cm. at its base. We roll the triangle from the base, already cut, trying to stretch it out as we turn the dough.
- We just rolled up the croissant and gave it its characteristic shape by folding the legs inwards.
- We put the croissants on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper far apart. Since they will grow quite a lot in the ferment.
Painting, resting and final baking of croissants
- We paint each unit with beaten egg and let them double their volume in a warm place. As can be the interior of the oven preheated for 2 minutes, and off, of course.
- If we use purchased puff pastry this fermentation step will not be necessary since the dough will not grow.
- Once they have doubled their volume, brush the surface with beaten egg again.
- Bake with the oven preheated to 190º C for 17 minutes.
- If we see that the surface of the croissants is browning a lot in the baking we can cover them with aluminum foil.
- We remove from the baking tray and let them cool completely on a rack before eating.
- I do not want seems exaggerated if I tell you that these croissants. Especially if they are made with homemade puff pastry, they are a real wonder.
Whether alone or as a breakfast or sweet snack or as salty sandwiches filling them with cheese and cooked ham. It is a totally mouth-watering bite.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes . You can see all the photos of the step by step of the recipe for the homemade butter croissant , so you will not miss any detail and they will be luxurious.
The best croissants I’ve ever had
If you are lazy about this recipe but want to try the best croissants. I recommend these, they are from Madrid and Barcelona. But I trusted your criteria, so if you want to complete the recipe you are welcome.
- In Madrid you have those of Pomme Sucre in Calle Barquillo which are tear-filled, those of La Duquesita pastry shop in Calle Fernando VI and of course those made by Alejandro Montes in Mama Framboise.
- In Barcelona , I decide for those recommended by Mikel Iturriaga, Dolç par Yann Duytsche in Sant Cugat, those of the pastry chef Oriol Balaguer who won the title of the best artisan butter croissant in Spain and the croissants of the Vallflorida pastry shop, chosen as “Best Croissant Butter Artisan of Spain 2015 ”. Its architect is Lluís Costa and Gerard Costa from the Vallflorida pastry shop in Sant Esteve de Palau Tordera. We cannot forget the winners of previous years, Ochiai (2013), Sweet by Abraham Balaguer (2012), Turull (2011) or Hofmann (2010).