- 45 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 387kcal per 100g.
- · ·
How to make fried donuts .
The recipes for desserts and especially the more traditional sweets are those who succeed, how are you traditional fried donuts and homemade sweets.
In the festivities of my village, Vertelo, Ourense, the Virgin of La Magdalena is honored in mid-July. It is the classic pilgrimage in which eating and drinking is tradition. A perfect way to endure with good body all the dances that can be done in the Dos Borraxos field. These donuts can never be missing at these parties.
I have brought to Madrid the recipe for the famous donuts that my mother Rosa prepared and since today you have it on the blog. And it is that since I have memories, it is a recipe that had to be prepared in these July days to complete the larpeiro tribute of the Magdalena festivities.
They are not Candil donuts , nor the pasta type ones they make in Mancha, nor silly or ready-made donuts like in Madrid.
They are spongy donuts that enter the body with a good shot of brown liquor. Ideal to finish a meal and start a dinner. Perfect to accompany with a liqueur or hot chocolate to the cup . I assure you that they will be as good as the classic anise donuts or the cream donuts that you already know.
You can all add your touch, my mother changed the recipe by removing anise and adding brandy.
Preparation of the donut dough
- We wash and grate the orange and the lemon, without reaching the white part, only superficially.
- We beat the eggs with the sugar until they foam, that they are mounted a little. We add the milk, the aroma of anise or dry anise, the brandy and the zest of the citrus. We beat everything very well until it is integrated.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and beat again until the oil is mixed.
- We combine the baking powder or the chemical yeast with the pastry flour (it is not necessary to sieve). We are adding it little by little to the previous mixture until we get a dough that sticks but is manageable.
- We can smear our hands with oil to better handle the dough, but only a little. We also don’t want to add more oil than necessary to the dough.
- We prepare a ball with the dough and wrap it in plastic transparent film. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Preparation and shape of the donuts
- After the resting time of the dough, we put on the fire a frying pan with plenty of sunflower oil. In it we are going to do the frying, they will be our famous donuts.
- One trick to flavor the oil is to fry two long strips of lemon peel (with no white fruit, just the skin) in the oil at low temperature. We leave them in the oil for 10 minutes at low temperature, 2 out of 10 points of induction temperature is enough.
- We move on to the most fun of the recipe, making the donuts. Spread extra virgin olive oil on the counter and hands.
- We make some balls the size of a golf ball, more or less all the same, about 30 balls come out.
- This is the easiest way since we will only have to open a hole in the center with the help of our fingers. In this way you will ensure that they are all the same and very fluffy.
- If you want them crunchier, you can make finer churritos of dough as if it were modeling clay and join them at the ends. I leave to your choice the shape that you like the most.
Frying and final presentation of the donuts
- We remove the lemon peels from the sunflower oil. We fry the donuts being very careful not to burn them.
- It is important because after all the work we do not want them to pass us or stay raw inside. The oil that we have in the pan we put it over medium heat without it getting to smoke.
- We fry in batches of no more than 6 donuts, so that the oil does not get too cold. Don’t be scared if they fall to the bottom, they rise again, because with the temperature they get a little fat.
- When they are gilded on both sides. We place them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove excess oil. Let them cool and reserve for the glaze.
Preparation of the syrup and final glaze of the donuts
Once cold we have three options
- Sprinkle them with icing sugar or regular white sugar, place sugar on a plate and coat the donut in the sugar so that it adheres, from here to a source or directly to the mouth.
- The other option, which is the one that my father likes the most, is to glaze them with a soft syrup, butt of sugar. We simply make a syrup in a saucepan. Where we usually prepare milk in the morning with the ingredients of the recipe and let it reduce. We pass all the donuts dipping on both sides in the syrup. This will cause a scab to form and keep them in good repair for a long time. We put them on a baking tray or on the counter, and after a while we reposition them so that they do not stick before the sugar dries.
- We can also make a simple icing with icing sugar (225 g) and water (50 ml.). Prepare the icing by whisking the icing sugar with the water. When the donuts are cold we dip them in the glaze on both sides. We return to the grid to drain the excess and dry.
I assure you that the result is fantastic, delicious, of course.
If you still do not have it clear, I leave you a step by step in photos of this recipe for fried donuts . Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Other yummy desserts
- A party, celebration or pilgrimage cannot be understood in Spain without the sweet touch. So I think we have a variety of dessert recipes to help us make the party round.
- You will find from the muffins , passing through all kinds of biscuits , the churros , the French toast , the panellets , the roscón de reyes , the pancakes … it could continue like this up to 100 types of sweets. Where the Arab heritage has helped make the merger a success. In our country the sweet fried dough wins by a landslide.