- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 0.9 / person
How to prepare some Mexican chicken fajitas . Since I tried this recipe for a dinner with friends, it has become a fixture of many home gatherings.
The chicken fajitas and vegetables are one of the recipes with meat common in many restaurants Tex-Mex and I assure you at home more enjoyable if possible, one of the most traditional dishes of Mexican cuisine in just over twenty minutes .
It is a very simple recipe and a healthy way of eating, white meat with chicken breast and lots of sauteed vegetables, perfect for lunch or dinner and that the little ones at home will love. It is also a fun way to eat, as they are eaten wrapped in a tortilla or wheat flour pancake.
Among the most popular dishes in Tex-Mex cuisine are ” antojitos “, appetizers accompanied by the famous guacamole , among which are tacos , crispy nachos and meat burritos . Fajitas belong to this category , which are not part of the Mexican cuisine itself but of the Tex Mex , the culinary fusion that occurs between the border of Mexico and the United States.
Its origin is in the state of Texas in the late 1930s . Mexican cowboys received the hardest parts of the cow (particularly the arrachera, a type of cut similar to the entrails) as part of their salary on Texas ranches.
Workers were forced to make good culinary use of this meat to make it edible, and so they invented fajitas, although in Mexico many centuries ago they used to accompany their meals with corn tortillas. Thus they prepared them roasted directly on the grill with chili peppers (various types of pepper) and onion and accompanied with wheat tortillas.
This preparation was unknown in Texas ranches and became fashionable when several Mexican restaurants began serving this dish, being extremely popular today.
The recipe has been evolving and adapting to the new times, at first it was cooked only with beef but nowadays it is made with chicken. Currently we cannot conceive of fajitas without being accompanied by some sauce such as sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, cheese and a good and tasty tomato.
The fajitas are very simple and will get you out of trouble in case you have surprise guests to eat. A quick and easy recipe to prepare, if you are looking for how to prepare chicken easily and deliciously, these fajitas will appeal to children and adults. Promised!
Preparation of the chicken fajitas
- We clean the chicken very well, we remove traces of fat and cut into julienne strips . Marinate with the garlic, salt, black pepper and cumin, put together well with a spoon or with the same hands and reserve. We cut the peppers into slightly thick strips and the onion into thin julienne strips (into thin strips).
- We put two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in your frying pan and when it is hot add the onion, salt and pepper and sauté well for 5 minutes. At the same time as the onion is made in another pan, sauté the chicken with a little oil, add the teaspoon (dessert type) of sweet paprika (if you like it spicy you can make the chicken with a touch of Mexican style) and stir well. . We remove it immediately from the fire so as not to burn the paprika.
- We pass the chicken to the other pan in which we have the poached onion, lower the heat to a minimum and let the flavors, all the juice of the meat and the onion come together.
- In the frying pan that we have left free we are going to sauté the peppers. We add a little oil and when it is very hot we make the pepper strips for 5 minutes, they have to be a little al dente so that we notice them when we eat the fajita. We combine with the onion and the chicken, grate the limes on top and mix all the flavors.
- To finish, put a small frying pan with a few drops of olive oil on the fire and heat the pancakes. Round and round, a few seconds, without burning. Read the instructions on the package of pancakes well and make them as you like, baked or in the micro. The fajitas are usually prepared with wheat pancakes since the corn ones have some resistance to being folded and are more than likely to break when trying to assemble the fajita.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and fill the pancakes with the mixture of chicken and sautéed vegetables. I advise you to close with two toothpicks, each at one end. With the heat they will catch the shape, then you just have to remove them and you will have your perfect fajita. You can accompany them with a little guacamole , a sour cream or with a spicy tomato sauce.
I hope you like them and prepare them at home. These fajitas should be eaten freshly made so that the omelette is soft and juicy and soaks well into the filling.
I encourage you to visit more recipes for tapas, snacks and pinchos perfect for an unforgettable evening with yours. Perfect for a light dinner, a party or, yes, a delicious way to share food with friends and the people you love.
Be sure to enjoy the recipes for simple dinners that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to lead a healthier and more colorful diet. You can see all the photos of the step by step of the recipe of these Mexican fajitas in this album, do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.