- 120 minutes
- For 10 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 386kcal per 100g.
How to make chocolate cake for Halloween.
We love Halloween coming to make sweets as fun as this chocolate and pumpkin pie.
We are in complex dates if we like dessert or if we want to diet , the wind fritters , the panellets or pie , the bones of the saint and the recipes with pumpkin are combined with spider cookies , delicious ghost brownies or the Frankenstein cupcakes .
It is not that we need excuses to let ourselves be carried away by the maximum joy that it entails, but we do need to let our imagination run wild with a cool decoration.
And since what we are looking for is “kind” Halloween , we run away from the gore , because here is a new contribution that we hope you will replicate at home.
Food enters through the eyes, we already know it well. That is why, regardless of how cute this cake is to contemplate, we have to warn you that it is tremendous in flavor. Of good, of course.
In its preparation we have prepared a very juicy pumpkin cake dough that we have alternated in layers with two different creams: a first pumpkin and a second chocolate. With the latter we have also covered the cake.
The finishing touch is made by a chocolate ganache that drips down the sides and fondant eyes that look at us with much love. The same that you will feel for it when you try it. Falling into their networks is going to be your destiny.
It’s a perfect cake to top off a Halloween celebration or as the centerpiece of a sweet table.
Chocolate lovers will adore it, although we warn that it is a strong cake and that it is advisable to be cautious with the size of the piece that you serve. It is so good that you do not want to leave anything on the plate.
If you do not want to be caught out of time, you can prepare the cakes and creams the day before. Then you just have to assemble it, prepare the chocolate ganache, decorate it and you’re done.
Preparation of the biscuits for the chocolate and pumpkin pie
- We start by preparing the biscuits of the cake so that they have time to cool before assembly.
- We preheat the oven to 180º C, with heat up and down. We line the base of three 18 cm oven pans with vegetable paper.
- We sift flour, baking soda, chemical yeast and ground cinnamon.
- Put the butter, oil, sugar and salt in a deep and wide bowl and beat on high speed for about 4 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs, the vanilla extract and the milk and continue beating for another 3 minutes.
- Then add the pumpkin puree and continue beating until homogeneous.
- Finally we incorporate the solid ingredients (sieved), little by little, and mix gently until obtaining a homogeneous mass and without lumps.
- We divide the dough between the three molds and cook in the oven for 15-16 minutes or until they are felt to the touch.
- We try with a skewer that they are perfectly cooked and we take them out to cool on a rack, inverting the molds they come out great.
- Let cool completely before unmolding.
- To make the biscuits take more body and make the cake easier to assemble, we individually wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge.
Preparation of pumpkin cream for the filling
- We continue with the preparation of the pumpkin cream for the filling.
- To do this, heat the pumpkin puree, sugar, honey, ground cinnamon and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- We cook for a couple of minutes, remove from the heat and reserve.
- For the chocolate cream of the filling and the coverage, put the dark chocolate in pieces with the glucose in a large bowl.
- Melt in the microwave, little by little and careful not to burn.
- Add the ointment butter or at room temperature and beat with some rods until you get a smooth and shiny mixture. Let it cool at room temperature.
- When the cream is cold, beat with the help of electric rods or in a robot at high speed until it is aerated and the color has lightened, at least 10 minutes.
Preparation of the chocolate ganache
- Finally we prepare the chocolate ganache for the decoration and, for this, we place the chopped chocolate in a bowl and heat the liquid cream.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and wait a few minutes (so that the chocolate melts without touching) before stirring and homogenizing.
- Let it warm before using to decorate the cake.
Final montage and presentation of the Halloween pumpkin and chocolate cake
- To assemble the cake, place one of the biscuits on a serving plate or table and cover with a layer of pumpkin cream and another layer of chocolate cream.
- We place the second cake, trying to keep it centered and pressing lightly so that it is well leveled.
- We cover with a layer of pumpkin cream and another of chocolate cream.
- We finish with the third sponge cake and cover the entire surface, including sides, with a thin layer of chocolate cream. We take the cake to the fridge so that the cream solidifies.
- To decorate the cake we put the ganache in a jar to make it easier to handle.
- We drop a thread of the ganache over the edge first, causing the churretes to form, and then cover the top.
- We return the cake to the refrigerator so that the ganache solidifies.
We can leave the cake as it is, without adding more decoration, or finish it with fondant eyes, meringue ghosts or whatever we like best.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in this recipe album of the chocolate and pumpkin cake for Halloween .
Tips for a Perfect Halloween Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- The consistency of the ganache should not be too liquid, so it should be tempered about 10-15 minutes before using and be careful when spreading it on the surface and, especially, on the sides.
- It is better that the kitchen temperature when whisking the chocolate cream of the filling and coverage is fresh so that it is easier to cream. The hotter it is in the kitchen, the more it will cost to get the right texture.
- If your biscuits hump, you can do it with a serrated knife to make them smooth.
- Instead of baking the biscuits separately, you can use a mold or two of greater height and then cut them into layers. The oven time will have to be longer, between 35 and 40 minutes.
- To make the cake assembly more comfortable, you can store the biscuits in the fridge for a few hours.
- If you prepare the chocolate filling and coverage cream in advance, it is necessary to take it out of the fridge at least an hour before and stir or beat before using to make it easier to work with.