- 40 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
- 314kcal per 100g.
Recipe for profiteroles filled with cream and covered with chocolate .
The profiteroles are a preparation of choux pastry, choux à pâte , with which small balls are formed which are then filled cream, pastry cream, caramel, whipped cream …
It is a dough within the classics of French recipes for desserts and is used both for profiteroles (petit choux) and Lyonnaise, in its sweet version, and for quenelles and salty snacks.
Today I have prepared profiteroles with cream and chocolate , perhaps the most classic and the simplest. I have to admit that until today profiteroles were the sweet snacks that I never chose from a tray of cupcakes, the dough seemed stiff and tasteless, which was always my last choice.
With today’s recipe I have made a great discovery, it is a super tasty dough, not at all bland or hard, any accompaniment that we put inside it will only accompany a category snack that would be good even alone.
With the choux dough there is no possible failure, in 15 minutes we can have the dough ready to put in the oven, we just have to take into account a fundamental premise, we have to try to make the dough as dry as possible.
In the step by step I explain the possible errors so that you do not make them, and you can enjoy some first class sweet bites.
Preparation of the profiteroles dough
- In a saucepan with a capacity of 1.5 liters, heat the water until it boils with the butter, sugar and salt. At that time we lower the heat and leave it at medium temperature until the butter has melted.
- We remove the saucepan from the fire and add the flour in one go, and all together. Beat with a wooden spoon until it begins to integrate, for a few seconds and put the saucepan back on the fire.
- With the casserole on the fire we remove the dough without stopping until a ball forms that detaches from the walls easily. What we need to achieve is that the dough evaporates as much moisture as possible, that we have a very dry dough.
- We see that a film will form at the bottom of the pot and that the ball is becoming more compact. This process will take about 3-4 minutes.
- We will know that the dough is ready when we touch it with our finger and it is clean, without remains of any kind.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and make a hole in the center with the wooden spoon. We add the first egg and we integrate it stirring incessantly with the spoon.
- Until the egg has been absorbed in its entirety with the dough we will not add the following. We proceed in the same way with the rest of the eggs.
- We must have a quite thick texture, so that when we make the portions on the tray they do not spread.
- If when adding the penultimate egg we see that you no longer need any other, we would not include the fourth. The weight of the eggs can vary greatly from one size to another, I point out that they must be small eggs.
Baking chocolate profiteroles
- Fill the sleeve with choux pastry and on a parchment paper in a baking tray. We make small portions of about 2 cm in diameter by 1 cm. High.
- We have to be careful to separate the portions since the dough will grow quite a bit during the process. Spread all the mounds with egg.
- With the oven previously heated to 200º C, we bake the profiteroles for 20 minutes.
- I recommend that you stop these snacks as soon as you enter the oven with aluminum foil. Since otherwise you will most likely be roasted too much after 20 minutes.
- The last 5 minutes we can uncover them if we consider it necessary for them to brown. Remove from the oven and leave on a rack until they have cooled completely before filling.
- We are going to have some hollow bites inside, golden on the outside and very dry inside.
- If the dough is not dry enough inside, when removing the profiteroles from the oven, they would drop. So it is essential that in the initial process we try to remove as much moisture as possible.
Cream filling and final presentation of profiteroles
- We prepare the whipped cream with sugar, beating the cold cream with the sugar.
- Prepare the chocolate cream by mixing the butter and chocolate in a saucepan until both have melted. Once out of the fire, add the cream and beat well until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- We will let the chocolate cream cool before filling the profiteroles.
- To fill the profiteroles we will cut them in half only up to half their diameter. The profiteroles will be left with a large open and hollow mouth.
- With a pastry bag we fill each profiterol with the whipped cream.
- Finally with a spoon or a kitchen bottle we water all the profiteroles with a few lines of chocolate.
Be sure to enjoy all the yummy sweets in our dessert recipes. You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.
Tips for some yummy profiteroles
- If you add to the mass of the profiterol making it bigger eggs. Including 4 in the recipe would be too many and the cream would be too soft.
- The best way to prepare portions of profiteroles is with a pastry bag and a round nozzle. If we do not have a sleeve, we can use a plastic bag to cut one of its corners.
- If you are interested you can also make a salty version to fill with paté, cheese spread or any other salty preparation.
- All we have to do is remove the sugar from the dough ingredients and increase the amount of salt by ½ teaspoon.
- You can also flavor the dough with pepper, nutmeg or any other space that we feel like. I really recommend that you spend a little time preparing these snacks, they will surely surprise you.
- We can also fill them with pastry cream , I leave you the video of how it is prepared.