- 190 minutes
- For 6 people
- 3.5 € / person
- 288kcal per 100g.
How to make a meat stew with potatoes . In my mother’s repertoire for the holidays, roast beef with potatoes is undoubtedly prominent.
It is a classic homemade meat stew , a star recipe in my kitchen. Preparing this type of meat recipes requires, first, not to be in a hurry.
It should be cooked over low heat, giving it the necessary time to achieve a mixture of flavors, textures and smells that make the dish a delight.
Although by this name, roast beef , surely we can find endless recipes depending on the region and the house where it is prepared, what cannot fail in any case is quality meat and some delicious potatoes.
In my land, Galicia, we have a lot of both and good, so it only remains to dedicate a little care to the preparation to get a party dish. So that this beef stew comes out yummy.
It is also important that the meat we buy is of very good quality, since it is the main ingredient. I have chosen boneless needle meat, although the choice of black pudding would also be a success (I already told you about it in the jarrete recipe ).
If you can prepare it the day before, it will be even richer than just made. If you like this type of dishes, be sure to check other stew recipes . Even follow our recommendations and tips to cook like a teacher.
On this occasion I have made roast beef, in the traditional style , over low heat and with all the time in the world. As we do not always have a morning to prepare these types of dishes, we can always choose to use the pressure cooker.
The meat point is more difficult to control but we can leave it rather short of time, about 15 minutes in the pot, we check the point and continue cooking, already open, until the perfect meat is.
This recipe is one that will make the whole family enjoy, the ones that need a good piece of bread to dip in the sauce, a whole plate of yummy.
Preparation of Grandma Lucrecia’s style stew
- We clean the meat from fat and chop it into large pieces. Heat a splash of olive oil in a saucepan. We brown the meat so that it is well sealed on all sides. We remove the meat from the casserole and reserve.
- In the same casserole and with the oil of having browned the meat. Fry the onions with the garlic cloves, all cut into cubes. Cook the onion over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots cut into slices and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
- Add the washed and diced tomatoes and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes from the time the saucepan returns to heat.
- We add the red wine. We let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes before incorporating the aromatic herbs, oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary.
- We can make a bouquet with the branch herbs to make it easier for us to remove them from the pot at the end of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the meat that we have reserved to the casserole.
- We cover with the meat stock and let it boil before covering the casserole. Cook the meat for 2 hours over medium heat with the casserole covered.
- Once we verify that the meat is tender and at its point, we remove it from the casserole and reserve it. We also remove the aromatic herbs from the sauce and discard them.
Fried potatoes and final presentation of the meat stew
- We crush the remaining sauce with a mixer. Later we pass it through a masher if we want to achieve a finer result. We incorporate the meat in the sauce again and reserve.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into large pieces. We cook the potatoes covering them with water, for 10 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked and still hard, drain them well before frying them in plenty of oil. The idea is that they acquire an outer crust.
- Drain the potatoes from the excess oil and add them to the meat casserole with its sauce. We continue cooking the potatoes in the casserole with the meat for 15 minutes and the casserole uncovered.
- We serve this stew very hot, accompanying the meat with the roasted potatoes and watered with part of its sauce. It is a simple and tasty luxury that will leave you safe, wanting more.
I hope you like it and prepare it at home, you know what I like a good stew or stew.
You can see in this step by step how to prepare this recipe for meat stew . I am sure you will prepare it on many occasions.
Tips and advice for a yummy beef stew
- The stew is usually better from one day to the next, so it should be cooked the day before. This way we get the flavors to rest and come together better, I no longer say anything about the sauce that wins even with 2 days after its preparation.
- A good stew requires hours of cooking and low heat. It is preferable to cook it in a traditional pot or casserole as we do in this recipe.
- If we opt for the express pot, we must bear in mind that not all ingredients have the same cooking point. My advice if you do not have that time is to prepare it first in the express pot. The final touch, give it in the traditional casserole.
- The stew or stew without any alcohol is not stewed. Red wine, brandy, cognac, a Pedro Ximénez (or sweet wine that you have at home). Even a little rum, they are the perfect liqueurs to cook this dish. It is important to reduce alcohol so that you lose acidity.
- If the stew is meat as in this case, and we want it not to be too hard, you must cook with parts such as black pudding, brisket, cheeks , pork or veal ribs or a good hock . You have to avoid the cleanest meats and opt for the pieces that have more collagen and muscle. If we opt for a stew or stew with meat, start with water or hot broth, this will help you to make the meat more tender. And if we cook lamb, remember that time is your best ally.