- 25 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 267kcal per 100g.
How to make French toast filled with pastry cream .
Easter , holidays for some, devotion for others. At this time the pastry shops throughout Spain are already filled with hundreds of French toast, delicacies worthy of the most larpeiros.
For me it is undoubtedly the best dessert of these dates, the best of our gastronomy. A sweet so simple and so rich that with which we take advantage of the remains of hard bread.
In this recipe I have given a twist to the classic French toast , a variant that has driven all my family and my girlfriend’s coworkers crazy, these French toast with pastry cream .
If you want to surprise with something different, I advise you to cheer up with them this year, they will become a classic in your kitchen.
The pastry cream with the option that I give you is made in a very simple way and the process, which seems complicated, will be as simple as with the French toast of a lifetime . It will also be perfect with Feiraco whole milk, which is always a guarantee of Galicia Calidade .
On these dates we will find a variety of incredible French toast in all the pastry shops in Spain. Imagine the option that I present to you today, a French toast with pastry cream.
A dessert that turns into a soft bread toast with an intense sweet taste of milk, citrus, a perfect touch of cinnamon and a filling of vanilla cream.
You couldn’t ask for more, a perfect combination, a delicate delicacy. I hope you like it and you will prepare it at home, enjoy these days of well-deserved rest.
Preparation of infused milk
- The first step is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk that will soak the French toast, for this we mix the milk with the liquid cream.
- We wash the lemon and the orange very well, we peel their skin in a fine way, without much white, to avoid that later we make the dessert bitter.
- I have added a sweet touch to the milk that will soak our French toast with vanilla sugar.
- We heat the milk over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat, add the vanilla sugar, the citrus peel and finally a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- We leave everything to rest for 5 minutes with the lid on, that is, infusing the milk. The milk must be warm or cold when we use it to soak the French toast.
- Strain and reserve in a large bowl where we will then soak our French toast.
Preparation of the pastry cream
- We are going to make the classic pastry cream that I am used to, it is a very simple cream to make. In the previous video you have all the tips to prepare it and make it perfect for you.
Preparation of the cream French toast
- Once the pastry cream and the infused milk have cooled.
- We cut the bread slices with a serrated knife, they should be 3 cm. and a half approximately so that we can fill them with the cream.
- We make a cut in the middle without actually separating the two parts, it will be like an open book.
- We choose a comfortable container to dip the bread chosen for the French toast. We fill it with the infused and cold milk that we have reserved.
- We fill a pastry bag or even with the help of a spoon. We reserve.
- Beat the remaining 3 eggs until they foam a little and add two tablespoons of infused milk.
- We beat again and place on another plate that is comfortable to dip the French toast before frying.
Frying the French toast and final presentation
- We put a pan with extra soft virgin olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, we bathe the slices of bread in the infused milk. We turn it so that they are impregnated well but do not drip.
- We open carefully due to the cut made previously, filling with the pastry cream.
- We pass them through the beaten egg that we already have prepared and from there directly to the pan with very hot oil.
- We fry the French toast on all two sides until golden. We use a fork to go around the French toast.
- We remove to a plate with absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Sprinkle the cream torrijas with a little vanilla icing sugar and let them cool.
These French toast is best eaten at room temperature or cold, simply delicious.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of the stuffed French toast recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for perfect stuffed French toast
- You can substitute mild extra virgin olive oil for sunflower oil. Its flavor is neutral, although it does not hold up as well to achieve a perfect frying.
- If the bread is not special for French toast , like the one I have used, you should allow a little more time for it to soak up milk.
- Milk should be at room temperature. Well if it is hot when we impregnate the bread with milk we may be left with half a piece of bread in hand. It is perhaps the most important point of this recipe, let the milk warm before dipping the bread slices, otherwise failure is assured.
- The French toast is better from one day to the next. As you can see in the photos I have let them sweat. Thus they are covered with a sweet and soft syrup capita of the own filling that make them supreme. Come on, yummy, don’t hesitate.