- 60 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 356kcal per 100g.
How to make deep fried donuts.
The traditional Spanish pastry is wide, extensive and delicious. Cakes , rolls , cocas , French toast , churros and other sweet doughs , whether baked or fried, are part of their repertoire.
Among the traditional frying pan desserts are the recipes for donuts and, specifically, the fried fried donuts that they bring us here today.
The roceñas or Santa Agueda donuts have nothing to do with the donuts to dry. They taste lemon and orange and have a delicious hint of anise . Its texture is softer, they are tender and fluffy.
This makes them some of the best donuts we’ve ever tried rivaling my mother Rosa’s donuts . And we have the feeling that you will also be captivated.
From the elaboration to the tasting, everything has a special charm in the rosceñas roceñas. To make them it is necessary to use a stick with which, inserted into the hole, the dough is rotated inside the oil.
This prevents the hole from closing and maintaining its donut shape. It is fun to prepare them and we can involve children in it, but the moment of frying… better to reserve it for adults.
Accompany these donuts roceñas a good bowl of hot chocolate , a coffee with milk, infusion, cold milk or eat them as is, dry stick.
As they are tender and juicy they fit wonderfully. They are perfect for breakfast or snack. Do you dare to prepare them now?
Preparation of the dough of the roceñas donuts
- We wash the lemon and orange well, dry and grate them.
- Add the zest to the sugar and rub with your hands so that it is well impregnated with the aromas of citrus. We reserve.
- We separate the yolks from the whites and place them in two different bowls (the one with the whites that is large because we will add the rest of the ingredients in it), taking care that no shell remains fall into any of them.
- We mount the egg whites until stiff , either by hand with metal rods or with the help of electric rods. Do not miss the video that I showed at the beginning.
- We also beat the yolks until they are creamy and whitish.
- We add them to the bowl in which we have the egg whites on the verge of snow and stir gently until integrating.
- We make enveloping movements, from bottom to top, so that the air that we have incorporated with the shake is not lost.
- Add the flavored sugar with the zest and yeast and continue stirring in the same way, gently and slowly.
- Next, add the anise, oil and half a glass of lemon and orange juice mixture. Stir gently until there are no lumps.
- To finish the dough we incorporate the flour, little by little and stirring between additions.
- We may need more flour than indicated, this will depend on the degree of liquid absorption of the flour used. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Sprinkle a large platter or baking tray with flour and place balls of the dough on it.
- We flourish our hands so that we can manipulate it better and that it does not stick to us. As it is a soft dough, the balls will be crushed. It is normal.
- Once the dough is portioned, it only remains to form the donuts and fry. To do this, heat a good amount of oil over medium heat.
- We use a large saucepan or casserole, with height. We are not worth a frying pan.
Donut types. Double or single
- Donuts can be made double or single.
- The doubles are made by joining two portions of dough, on the side that has not been in contact with the flour so that they stick well,
- Squeezing lightly and making a hole with the tips of the fingers.
- The simple ones are made with a single portion of dough, also making a hole in the center.
Frying and presentation of the fritter donuts
- We fry the donuts in the oil and use the handle of a wooden spoon (or any stick) to introduce it into the hole and rotate the donuts.
- This prevents the hole from closing. We turn so that the donut is browned equally everywhere.
- The donuts will sink when you put them in the oil, but they will end up rising to the surface.
- When the donuts are golden, drain them well of oil, remove to a plate with sugar and coat well. Let cool before serving.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for fried donuts roceñas . Do not miss any detail so that they come out of you delicious.
Tips for perfect donuts roceñas
- We can beat the whole eggs, with the flavored sugar in the citrus zest, and avoid the hassle of separating whites and yolks. In this case we need to beat for a longer time until the mixture has become creamy and whitish. Better to have a kitchen robot to facilitate the task.
- For a more intense anise flavor, add a teaspoon of ground anise or matalahúga seeds. The latter will give a crispy touch and more texture to the donuts.
- Donuts grow a lot when frying, due to the effect of chemical yeast. It is convenient to be restrained when portioning the dough if you do not want to end with donuts instead of donuts.
- The use of a stick is not essential, it can be replaced by the handle of a wooden spoon or any other similar object.
- Watch out for the oil temperature. It should not be excessively high or they will be raw on the inside while it seems that they are perfect on the outside. It is best to do a test with the first one and adjust as necessary.