- 120 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 10.5 / person
- 276kcal per 100g.
How to make a fish stew . The recipes with fish in Galicia are, indisputably, a fundamental part of its gastronomy.
Among the multitude of ways in which they can be prepared, fish stew occupies a special role. If we delve a little deeper into the Galician fish recipes we can find the caldeiradas and the ajada or alladas .
Today I bring you a traditional fish stew, made as it has always been in Galicia. The origin of this way of cooking fish is found on the Galician coast. It is in the villages of seafaring tradition where these recipes start, but more specifically from fishermen.
Without them, those already on the high seas, prepared stews with the fish they fished, combining all the varieties they had of the catch of the day. Although we can make caldeiradas with specific fish. On the blog you can find caldeirada de raya , a very traditional recipe in Galicia.
We have prepared this dish with various fish that were in season. To make the recipe choose those that are full of flavor and quality, for example: Hake, scorpionfish, ray, monkfish, pollock, etc. We could even give this preparation a spin and add seafood such as mussels, clams or cockles.
It is, in short, a seafood dish where we can fully enjoy seafood. That is why it is essential to have first-class ingredients, fresh and freshly caught. It is this characteristic that will make our dish a luxurious dish.
Preparation of the fish stock broth for the caldeirada
- We begin by preparing the broth that we will use later in the stew. In a saucepan, heat a dash of extra virgin olive oil and add one of the onions and one of the garlic cloves, both chopped.
- We fry the vegetable for a few minutes, until we see that it begins to brown. Add the fish heads and parsley.
- Cover with water and let the fish broth cook for 15 to 20 minutes. We reserve.
Preparation of the fish stew. Final presentation
- Cut the remaining onion into julienne strips and the garlic clove into cubes. We brown them in a saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- When the onion is soft, add the peeled and diced tomatoes. We cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- We incorporate the peeled potatoes and cut into 1 cm slices.
- We cover with the broth that we have reserved that we will have previously strained. We salt the mixture and cook 15 minutes.
- Add the paprika, stir slightly and, when we check that the potatoes are almost ready, we add the fish that we will have clean and chopped and the peas.
- Let the fish cook for 10 minutes and serve very hot.
I encourage you to try to do it at home, the result will take us to the Galician coast, I assure you.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of this classic fish soup recipe in this album.