- 70 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 5 / person
- 255kcal per 100g.
How to make a seafood zarzuela . I have already commented many times that, in my opinion, cooking is easy. Now, I am not going to deny that there are plates and plates, it is not the same to make a French omelette than a ragú alla bolognese .
It is true that certain recipes involve some work, and I have to admit that this is the case with today’s recipe with fish , seafood zarzuela .
The zarzuela consists of a stew or seafood stew made with various fish and shellfish, typical of coastal areas, being a popular dish in the areas of the Spanish Levante. We will find this dish in most restaurants in some coastal areas of Catalonia, Castellón or in Mallorcan cuisine.
Many tourists identify it as the Spanish bouillabaisse , a seafood stew that we can find in most coastal areas. They are recipes similar to the caldeirada that triumphs in my area, Galicia, the Portuguese caldeirada or the Catalan Suquet de peix that I have tried this year and it is spectacular.
Traditionally, the specimens that arrive in port are used, those of the season, those that are most suitable according to the time of year in which we prepare the dish. We complement the dish with a chopped nuts that will help thicken the sauce and add flavor.
Although it is true that it is a laborious dish and requires organization, the result is well worth it. It is a category recipe, perfect for any meal where you want to be like kings. The result is a plate of fish and seafood with a lot of flavor and a sauce made with bread and dipping.
Preparation of fish and shellfish from zarzuela
- We remove the thorn from the monkfish tail and cut the monkfish into 4 pieces. We reserve the thorn. We remove the shell of the prawns and, together with the monkfish thorn, we can use them to prepare in fish broth. We reserve.
- In a saucepan, cook the mussels with 1 finger of water. The moment the shells open the mussels will be ready. We reserve the mussels and save the water resulting from cooking by straining it to remove impurities.
- When the mussels are warm we remove the shell and the beards and reserve them until the moment of using them.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the previously floured hake slices. It is not necessary to cook them completely. It is about making an initial cooking that later we will finish in the stew. We reserve.
- We proceed in the same way with monkfish. After floured, lightly brown it in the pan and reserve.
- We clean the luras or the squid by separating the tentacles and removing the interior content of the body.
- We wash well under the tap and dry with kitchen paper. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons to the pan and fry the squid until golden brown.
- In this case we do not do as with the fish, it is necessary to cook them well so that in the final result they are not hard. We reserve.
Preparation of the fish and seafood stew or zarzuela
- In a wide saucepan, heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onion, red pepper and garlic, cut into small cubes.
- Fry until the vegetables are soft. We must take this process slowly, it is necessary that the onion and pepper are well poached before continuing with the dish.
- Peel the tomatoes and add them to the casserole well chopped. We cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- While the vegetable is cooking we prepare a chopped with the almonds. If they are raw almonds with skin, the first thing we do is blanch them for 1 minute. So we can remove the skin without difficulty. In a small frying pan, toast the almonds without oil and reserve.
Preparation of the mash and final presentation of the zarzuela marinera
- Now toast the saffron lightly to release all its aroma and reserve. In the same pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toast the bread.
- In a mortar mix the saffron, the almonds, the toasted and chopped bread and a good bunch of parsley. Crush or crush as much as possible and reserve.
- When we have the vegetable sauce ready, add to the casserole the fish that we have reserved, the prawns already clean and the fried squid.
- We leave 2 minutes for them to cook with the rest of the ingredients and add the cognac. We leave a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the fish stock and part of the mussels’ cooking water.
- As you still have about 10 minutes of cooking and part of the water will evaporate we have to add enough liquid so that we have some sauce afterwards.
- Add the chopped almonds and sprinkle with parsley. At this time we check the salt and add the necessary.
- We cook for about 6 or 7 minutes, shaking the casserole from time to time so that the sauce is linked.
- We serve this great dish very hot, accompanied by some boiled potatoes it would be perfect but by itself, it is only already fantastic.
A whole category dish with which you will be like kings. I encourage you to try to do it at home, the result will take you to the coast at once, I assure you.
You can see all the step-by-step photos of this classic fish and seafood zarzuela recipe in this album.