- Very easy
- 35 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 142kcal per 100g.
How to make a cream of leeks . If you ask me about one of my favorite vegetable recipes , the answer is a light and almost calorie-free leek cream.
On the blog you will find leeks as the absolute protagonist in many recipes, from a cream of leeks and zucchini to the traditional Vichyssoise or cold cream of leeks . Today’s option is easier if possible, we propose this cream of leeks , soft and light. A recipe complemented with a crispy ham that will give us a contrast of textures.
Currently, its popularity and consumption is enormous. We will find its cultivation in Spain in the northern areas: Navarra, the Basque Country and La Rioja. In Europe, without a doubt, the largest consumer and producer of leek is our neighboring France. And from there comes one of the world famous recipes, the ” Vichyssoise “.
This cream of leeks has similarities with it but it is not the same. The ” Vichyssoise ” is made with cream and consumed cold, while in our cream we will dispense with the cream in the ingredients and we will also taste it hot, so that it is a perfect first spoon dish for any occasion.
Preparation of the base of the cream of leeks
- This time we will only use the white part of the leeks. We will cut through the area before the leaves, where we appreciate that the stem begins to have a green hue.
- We also remove the lower part or root, where it has that kind of “whiskers”.
- Do not throw away the excess part, you can take advantage of the leaves to add them to a vegetable broth and the stem in a sauce.
- We run the white stems under running water to clean them and remove any dirt or dirt that they bring.
- We cut them lengthwise into two halves. Then we chop them into portions about 2-3 cm thick. We reserve.
- Peel the onion by removing the outer layers and chop it into julienne strips.
- In a saucepan pour a little olive oil. Fry the onion for 5 minutes over medium heat, without it becoming colored.
- We add a little salt to release the water, helping it not to brown.
- Now add the leeks, mix and sauté together for another 5 minutes.
- We want them to be cooked and softened before subsequent cooking.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and “crack” them in cubes (similar in size to the leek pieces) on the vegetables.
- In this way we achieve that they release more starch and the cream becomes thicker and more homogeneous. Mix and braise for a couple of minutes.
Cooking and preparing the cream of leeks and crispy ham
- Pour the water into the saucepan, so that all the ingredients are covered.
- We cook 20 minutes over medium heat, taking a look from time to time so that we do not run out of liquid.
- We salt to taste the moment it begins to boil.
- After the cooking time, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- We crush well with the mixer, resulting in a slightly thick mashed textured mixture. At this point, add the milk and stir in a circle.
- We will check how it integrates perfectly with the rest and the cream acquires that characteristic white color.
- With the heat of the casserole, we leave 5 minutes for it to continue making and taking “body” our cream.
- Depending on your taste, you can add more or less milk to achieve the desired point, looser or thicker.
- For the final touch of the dish we are going to prepare a simple crunchy Serrano ham (or Iberico). It will serve to decorate, give a touch of color and also provide a contrast of textures.
- We cut the ham slices into thin strips of about 5-6 cm. of length.
- We smear a frying pan with a little olive oil, with the help of a silicone brush or kitchen paper.
- Sauté the strips of ham over medium heat 2-3 minutes. They will release some of their fat and get a stiff and crisp texture. At that point, we remove on absorbent paper.
- We serve the warm leek cream on the table. We decorate with some crispy strips on the plate or bowl of each diner.
As you can see, a simple and very healthy recipe, perfect for a light first course.
Tips for a creamed leeks cream
- When you go to buy the leeks, make sure that the stem is white, straight and consistent. That it does not have spots or defective parts.
- If we see the top, the leaves will be green and firm, without yellowed or discolored areas. Once at home, they will keep perfectly in the fridge for a couple of weeks and about 3 months if you freeze them. Of course, then I recommend cooking them without defrosting, so they do not lose flavor and texture.
- Leeks can be found in markets and greengrocers throughout the year, but the “summer” leek, although it has a milder flavor, is smaller in size and quality.
- In these cold months is when we can get more out of our dishes. In most cases we use it as an ingredient to enhance a sofrito, to form part of a vegetable broth or cream, in a puree or to accompany meat or fish.