- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 0.9 / person
- 112kcal per 100g.
How to make crispy artichokes or fried artichokes . One of the ways to prepare a recipe with artichokes that surprised me recently is in frying.
I must admit that as a child I was not passionate about the artichoke world , almost the other way around. But my love for artichokes has been growing little by little over time, now becoming an essential in my kitchen. I would say looking forward to your season to prepare a multitude of recipes as you can see on the blog. I use them in many of my casseroles and stews, in rice and other preparations.
This recipe for crispy artichokes is perfect for an accompaniment or garnish, but as they are they are also very good. The one as one after another, as if they were pipes. Although as I like them the most is with fried eggs, it adds crispness to the plate and mixed with the egg yolk … they are delicious. Sure, there are a million recipes for vegetables that combine artichoke with other ingredients, but I like it that way, simple, with a little ham, fried egg or a simple sauce.
I leave you with this light snack that can also be delicious vegetable chips if the frying is with artichokes in smaller pieces. A perfect first course or to accompany seconds. It is a delicious dish, very crisp and natural, cheer you up, it will surely surprise you.
Cleaning the artichokes
- The first thing we do is thoroughly clean the artichokes.
- We remove the outer leaves until we reach the layer where they have a lighter green color and are more tender.
- Next we peel the trunk, which in this case we keep and cut the tip.
- We divide them into two halves and with the help of a teaspoon we remove the central part. It is where the fuzz is found that can give a bitter taste.
- As we clean them, we place them in a bowl containing very cold water and a good handful of fresh parsley, to prevent them from taking on a brownish color. This trick helps prevent oxidation, the process that occurs when the artichoke phenols come into contact with oxygen.
- We put water in a saucepan, add a pinch of salt, a quarter of a lemon and heat until it boils.
- At that time we add the artichokes and leave for 30 minutes, depending on how tender they are. They should not be very soft.
- At the end of this time we remove them from the water and drain them on kitchen paper to remove the cooking water.
- Once boiled and clean they are ready for countless elaborations, you can use them for salads or to add to various stews, the range of possibilities is endless. In this case, we cut the artichokes into thin sheets. We reserve.
Frying the artichokes. Final presentation
- We put a frying pan or a saucepan with oil to heat and when it is hot. We fry immediately, removing them from the oil as soon as they start to roast. When removing the crispy artichokes we put them on absorbent paper to remove the excess oil from the frying.
- It is important to control the temperature of the oil so as not to burn the chips. Once fried, we salt them with Maldon salt or flaked salt.
- Accompany with a sauce of mustard and honey, to do this add 2 tablespoons of mustard, 1 mayonnaise and 1 honey. The truth is that they are delicious and serve both as an aperitif alone or as an accompaniment to any dish.
You can see all the step by step photos of the recipe for these crispy artichokes in this album.
Tips and advice for some yummy artichokes
- Think that if you buy fresh artichokes you must cook them well before sautéing them, because one of the characteristics of this vegetable is its hardness.
- Once cooked, it is good to consume them during the day. If for some reason you are not going to eat them immediately it is better to freeze them, they will last two months perfectly.
- Wear gloves while cleaning and preparing the artichokes to avoid staining your skin. Artichokes quickly rust and blacken when in contact with air.