- 25 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 4.5 / person
- 185kcal per 100g.
How to prepare a sea bass in salt .
There are many possibilities and recipes with fish with which you will succeed with your guests, but if you go for a main course with fish, sea bass in salt is a sure hit.
The sea bass is very nutritious, with a low fat level and a fine and smooth flavor. In addition, to cook it we do not need to complicate ourselves too much, if we make it simply on the grill or in the oven , we will have a delicious dish. This sea bass with salt is cooked in the oven and is also very easy to prepare.
Particularly it is a dish that we like a lot at home, as much or more than the sea bream with salt , since it has no complications. Even if you have a good budget you can cheer up with a baked sea bream for this Christmas .
The fish always comes out at its perfect point, juicy, with an unbeatable texture and flavor. I hope you like it.
Preparation of sea bass in salt
- Making the salt crust will only take us about 5 minutes, so we take advantage and preheat the oven to 200ºC in the “heat up and down” function.
- In a large bowl mix the coarse salt with the fine. Add the water and stir with the help of your fingers to get a homogeneous mixture, which will then compact with the heat.
- First we throw a jet of water and mix. Then we add the rest in 2 more batches, repeating the process.
- When we catch a little by hand, we squeeze and we get a compact mixture. So you are at the right point.
- We prepare the base or “bed” of salt in the oven tray. With the help of the palm of your hands, place a layer of the mixture half a centimeter thick (a little less than a finger).
- Extend enough to then place the bass / s broadly.
- We place the fish on the salt, in this case the two sea bass, separated with some space. Each of them must have its own scab.
Baked from sea bass to salt. Tips
- We cover all the fish with a layer of very compact salt, squeezing with our hands, and then we can easily remove it.
- We left the tail and the head (from the eye) exposed. You can also cover it completely and expose the eye (making a hole in the scab).
- We preheat the oven to 220º C. We put the sea bass in the oven tray (in the middle) with temperature above and below (without air or fan). In this case it was a 1.5 kg sea bass with which we have prepared it for 28 minutes.
- The trick of examining the eye when it turns white is that the fish is done. It is important not to open the oven during cooking, since we must keep the temperature constant so that it comes out luxurious.
- For different bass weights we must use different types of times. Here are some little tips:
- We will have 1 kilo of sea bass in the oven for 23 minutes at 220º C.
- If it is a 1 and a half kilo bass we will have it in the oven for 28 minutes at 220º C.
- For a 2 kilos sea bass we will have it in the oven for 36 minutes at 220º C.
- For a 3 kilos sea bass we will have it in the oven for 50 minutes at 220º C.
Final presentation of sea bass in salt
- After time, we remove from the oven and remove the salt crust without delay. With the help of a knife, we cut the part of the fish and it will come out easily in large pieces.
- We place the sea bass in a source and remove the skin, which will come out very easily. The meat will have a perfect texture, tender and tasty, since it has been cooked in its own juice.
- When we use it we can serve it with a little bit of flavored extra virgin olive oil . And at home we love to accompany it with some ajitos in chip type sheets, it is delicious.
To accompany it we make the garnish that we like the most. For example, some cooked potatoes and a vegetable sauce (red and green pepper, onion and zucchini) are great.
As you can see, it is a very simple recipe with which you will be like kings and queens facing the Christmas menus.
If you do not want to lose detail of this recipe for sea bass in salt , be sure to see this album step by step.
Tips for a sea bass with a yummy salt
To achieve this, we will have to take into account some essential considerations:
- Let the fishmonger know what it is to make the salt. So that it does not de-scale and clean it by the part of the gills, so that it does not open its belly. The scales protect the fish from the heat and help it to be more tender.
- We will use fat or extra fat salt . There is a special salt on the market for making fish in salt that is of a higher than normal caliber. The proper ratio is twice as much salt as the weight of the fish.
- To make the salt crust compact, we can use a few tricks. One is to add a couple of egg whites and mix. The other is to use 3 parts of extra fat salt. A part of fine salt and a little water to moisten and compact the mixture.
- To know when the sea bass will be at its point we will leave the eye exposed. When it is white we must remove the fish from the oven.
- Once baked, we must remove the salt crust to prevent the sea bass from continuing to cook inside.
- The baking time varies according to the weight of the piece, for pieces of 1 kg. We will cook 20 minutes + 5 minutes of heating the salt crust.
- For a piece of 2 kilos of weight we will bake 36 minutes . And if you find one weighing 3 kilos it will be 50 minutes . Although the times may vary depending on the power of your oven.
- You can use this same preparation with other firm meat fish such as gilthead sea bream , sea bream and similar species.