- 240 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.4 € / person
- 483kcal per 100g.
How to make donuts with chocolate icing .
I already told you about sugar donuts and how much they give me back to childhood.
From time to time, my mother would let us buy donuts for the total enjoyment of all the cousins. In addition to the more classic ones, the sugar ones with their soft icing, whose recipe you can find on the blog, were the donuts with chocolate icing. The latter are the ones I bring you today, classic donuts with chocolate to lick your fingers.
There are many donuts, donuts or donuts on the market, but in Spain, the most famous will surely be those sold under the name of donuts. That type of sweet is what I have tried to prepare with the recipe for homemade donuts , making them as similar to the original as possible.
A second challenge was preparing the classic chocolate donuts at home. The end result is a sweet, chocolate and sugar topping that covers the donuts smoothly and consistently.
If it happens to you like me and you are fans of classic donuts but at the same time, nothing can make you more excited than preparing them yourself, this is your recipe. Chocolate donuts to enjoy cooking and a luxury snack.
Preparation of the donut dough
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil with a strip of orange peel. Remove from the heat and let it temper while the milk is infused with the orange.
- In a bowl we mix the flour, salt, sugar, orange zest and cardamom seeds that we will have removed from the pods and crushed in a mortar. We remove to combine the dry ingredients and reserve.
- When the milk is warm remove the orange peel and add the butter in pieces. Stir until the butter is melted and add the dry baker’s yeast to the warm milk.
- In a bowl we beat the egg and add the milk with yeast. Mix well with a fork. We add the mixture of dry ingredients and begin to integrate with the help of a fork.
- We continue integrating the ingredients with our hands and pass the mixture to a work surface. We knead for 10 or 15 minutes and form a ball.
- We put the ball of dough in a bowl, cover it with a cloth and let it ferment for about 2 hours until it has doubled in volume.
- Depending on the temperature of our kitchen, the dough could thank some heat.
- We can store the dough ball for fermentation in the oven, turned off and preheated for 1 minute. This way we make sure to get a warm temperature without problems.
Donut preparation. Frying
- Once the dough has fermented and doubled in volume, we put it on a floured work surface and stretch it with a rolling pin until it is 1 or 1.5 cm thick.
- With two round molds, one large to make the different donut portions and another small to make the hole, we are forming the donuts. It is convenient to take advantage of the dough as much as possible before kneading, stretching and cutting again since the dough will not be the same.
- We place each donut on a tray with baking paper and proceed to a second fermentation. Let the donuts rest again until they double their volume, in a warm place, for no less than 1 hour.
- Heat plenty of sunflower oil and fry the donuts for 1 or 2 minutes on each side.
Chocolate glaze. Final presentation of the donuts
- We remove to a tray with absorbent paper and let them cool completely before preparing the chocolate glaze.
- We put the glass sugar in a bowl and add the water as we integrate it with a fork. We reserve.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and add it little by little to the glass sugar mixture.
- We dip each donut in the mixture and place it on a wire rack to drain the remaining frosting. We let the chocolate glaze dry before removing the donuts from the rack.
Do not stop enjoying all the sweets that will make you happy, many ideas on the blog. You can see all the step-by-step photos of the chocolate donut recipe in this album.
Tips for some yummy donuts
- As only ingredients we will need the icing sugar. It is not valid for this type of icing recipes, the use of classic grain sugar or ground sugar, it must be glass sugar.
- The ratio between the chocolate, the sugar and the water, give the coating its right point of density so that it can initially cover the donut and get to dry without slipping from the donut.
- When shaping the donut dough, it is advisable to make the most of the dough. Always before kneading, stretching and cutting again since the dough will not fit us the same.