- 30 minutes
- For 10 people
- 0.5 € / person
Chocolate and cookie tart recipe . If there is a quintessential birthday cake this is undoubtedly the cookie and chocolate cake . It is almost identical to the German, Swedish and US biscuit cake, and is that this classic of birthday parties is liked all over the world. In addition to being very simple and cheap, it comes into play that everyone, large and small, participates in its preparation because the oven is not necessary in its preparation.
The one with cookie cakes is one of those dessert recipes that I will have made with my mother and even, as you will see in the photos, they were the activity that I liked the most in the camps where I worked in the summer, especially because it ended with a pitched battle in which everyone was smeared with chocolate up to their ears.
The variety of cookie cakes is immense, in each house an ingredient is changed and another is added, some are made with coffee, like this cookie cake that was so successful a few months ago. You will also find them with liquor, others with cinnamon, with cream inside, with jam, with many or few flavors, there are them with the typical Flanin (I like it with homemade pastry cream), Chaparro type chocolates, chocolate with milk or directly black.
If you have a birthday to celebrate and are looking for an easy birthday cake to prepare, think no more and decide on the one I present today, a little thinner than normal but just as delicious. Go for it, surely you are right!
Preparation of filling creams
- We chose the chocolate to use, I use one with 70% cocoa, but if you like it with less potency you can use the typical milk chocolate tablet, the one they gave us with the sandwich for snacks on holidays. Remember that it has cream, so the chocolate flavor will be diluted but we do not want to lose all the cocoa flavor either.
- Chop the chocolate, the finer it is the better it will melt. Heat the chopped chocolate in a bain-marie over low heat, almost lukewarm, stirring constantly with the rods until we obtain a smooth and homogeneous cream. We should not heat the chocolate more than necessary, 3-4 minutes will suffice.
- We remove from the fire and let it temper. If you do not want to do it in a water bath, you can use the microwave, melting the chocolate in fractions of a minute so that it does not reach a high temperature or it will burn us.
- We boil the cream in a saucepan and when it is hot we pour it over the chocolate, mixing well to integrate the two ingredients. Let cool completely and then go to the layers of the cake.
Pastry cream or dense vanilla custard
- The first thing is to prepare the ingredients with which we are going to flavor the milk. We wash the lemon very well and peel its skin in a fine way, without much white that then makes the dessert bitter.
- We open the vanilla bean and remove the seeds that we will reserve to add later to the milk.
- We separate a glass of milk from the total that we are going to use and reserve it. Heat the rest of the milk in a saucepan over medium heat almost to the boiling point. We lower the temperature and remove from the heat, add the vanilla seeds, the skin of the lemon and finally the cinnamon stick broken in half. We leave everything to rest infusing for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch in the glass of warm milk and put it together without any lumps, if necessary we pass the mixer or some rods. We separate the yolks from the whites.
- We put the yolks in a bowl and beat with the sugar until it foams. Add the glass of milk with the dissolved cornstarch. We beat again until there are no lumps, there must be a homogeneous mass. We reserve.
- Strain the infused milk and add it to the saucepan again, heat to a boil and add the cream from the previous step. We are adding it little by little and mixing with rods or a wooden spoon without stopping until it thickens, it should not boil at any time, the texture of the custard should be slightly thick and without lumps.
- It is very important not to stop stirring as it can get burned or stick to the casserole, the secret as in almost all recipes is to be patient and do not always stop stirring on the same side until there is a homogeneous cream.
- We add the butter to finish the butter, it makes more cream and gives it shine. Let cool completely to start with the cake. We have almost everything ready, now comes the easiest.
Final assembly of the biscuit cake, chocolate and vanilla
- We are going to use a 25 cm x 25 cm mold, perfect for a normal cake size. If you want to make the cake bigger you will need more cookies, but the same amounts of cream are enough.
- We put a first layer of cookies soaked in a mixture of milk, pomace cream (do not add it if you are going to take it children) and cinnamon, we cover the entire bottom. If necessary we will break some to cover the small gaps.
- We cover with a layer of pastry cream. We put another layer of cookies back and cover with the chocolate cream. Do not skimp, because when cooling it contracts and becomes finer. We cover again with more cookies and when we have the last layer of cookies we prepare the chocolate coating.
- We melt the chocolate in the micro in 1 minute batches and let it warm, we boil the cream and add it to the chocolate, we integrate everything well and finally cover the entire top of the cake. Sprinkle with the cocoa powder and let it cool in the fridge.
- This cake earns a lot from one day to the next, all the ingredients settle and it compacts much more. The inner cookie is soaked in all the chocolate and vanilla flavors. Anyway, an hour before eating it, we take it out of the fridge, since it tastes better if it is not very cold.
A show worth savoring that will take us back to the time when we were children. On the blog you can find a lot of ideas but the success of this cake is assured thanks to that children’s mixture of cookies, milk and chocolate, and a great sentimental component as deeply rooted in the kitchen as it is childhood.