- 80 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.6 € / person
- 345kcal per 100g.
How to make a cheese cake with chestnuts . We continue in autumn, with recipes full of seasonal flavor thanks to chestnuts .
A product that is currently common in many restaurant dishes, and that we can also use at home for endless recipes, both sweet and savory.
In my Galicia land, the chestnut is the authentic “queen” of the autumn season, sharing the limelight with the “cogumelos” (mushrooms). The first “ ourizos ” (hedgehogs that fall from the chestnut tree) that are on the ground announce that Autumn has already arrived.
Although its logical use is to use it during the fall, tell you that chestnuts and their derivatives can be consumed throughout the year. In the market you will find frozen, dried, mashed pilongas chestnuts, chestnut cream and the well-known Marron Glacé , of which Ourense is the first national producer.
The patron saint of my hometown, Ourense, is San Martiño and the “ Magostos ” festival is celebrated on November 11th . History tells that the Swedish king Carriarico, in the 6th century, ordered to build a temple to San Martín de Tours, in gratitude to heal his leper son. And so, over the centuries, San Martín became the patron saint of the city.
The “ magostos ” is an expected celebration throughout the year. People gather with family and / or friends to celebrate around a bonfire, where sausages and chestnuts are roasted. All well accompanied by red wine and typical brown liquor.
Preparation of sweet chestnut cream
- For this cake we are going to prepare a sweet chestnut cream , which will be the base of it.
- We need to peel the chestnuts and for this we will use a trick that will save us from hard work. We put water to boil in a large saucepan and blanch the chestnuts for 5 minutes.
- First we make a small cut at the base, then peel them easily. After time, we remove them with a slotted spoon. As soon as we can get our hands (without burning), we will start peeling them without difficulty.
- Discard the unhealthy ones completely. We need 300 gr. chestnuts already peeled so it would be necessary at least 400 gr. fresh.
- In a small saucepan pour the milk and heat. When it reaches temperature, we add all the sugar (white and brown). Add the chestnuts in quarters, a pinch of salt and mix. We will cook 20 minutes, about to boil, until the chestnuts are soft and tender.
- We crush with the mixer, until obtaining a homogeneous and smooth mass. The texture we want is that of a light, slightly thick puree. You can always add a little milk if you have passed with the mixer. We reserve in the fridge to cool down.
Preparation of cheesecake with chestnuts
- In a mixing bowl, add the cold chestnut cream, the cheese and the eggs one by one. We beat well and we will get a creamy and homogeneous mixture.
- Butter the mold (better removable), add the chestnut cream and let it rest for a few minutes so that the bubbles disappear.
- We take advantage of this to preheat the oven, with top-down heat, for 5 minutes at 170º C.
- We will dedicate more time and less temperature to this cake, so that it is made little by little and reaches a smooth and creamy final texture. We place the mold on the central tray, and bake 50 min. at 170ºC. Since each oven is a world, check with a skewer if the cake is ready. If it comes out clean, it is already at its point.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit and cool to room temperature. Once cold, remove from the mold and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour so that it continues to take on texture.
- We could taste it as it is but it is preferable to decorate it and give it a more festive touch. We prepare a paper template, drawing a chestnut about 8-10 cm wide, which we then cut out. Through this hole then we will decorate the cake.
- Before serving it on the table, sprinkle the entire top of the cake with icing sugar (straining it). We place the template in the center and cover the hole with cocoa powder. We remove the paper and there will be a nice dark-colored chestnut.
- Take care that it does not take too long before serving as the icing sugar will melt in contact with the base of the cake.
A delicious tart, with the creamy texture provided by the cheese and the sweet flavor of the chestnut cream. It will not be even to repeat how good it is.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this recipe for cheese cake with chestnuts. Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Recommendations for preserving chestnuts
- As a person from Ourense, I am lucky to have a private pantry, from my parents’ house in Viñoás, in the Ribeira Sacra . Every time I go to Galicia, I bring a good batch of chestnuts, which I then put to dry in a wooden box.
- It is recommended that they are not too fresh to cook with. From mid-October you will already find them in stores and markets. If you are going to buy them fresh, your skin must be shiny and its texture hard.
- Once at home, select them and discard those that are damaged or with a bug. Keep them in a cool, dry place, on newsprint or in an open wooden or cardboard box.