- 50 minutes
- For 6 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 230kcal per 100g.
How to prepare onion soup .
We are in autumn and winter is just around the corner, the body asks us for spoon recipes: soups, hot creams, purees, stews, casseroles, stews and a long etcetera.
If you search the blog you will see that I have few or no recipes for soups. I have decided to change this starting with a classic: “French onion soup”
An exquisite, traditional and basic recipe in any kitchen worth its salt. A delicious and simple dish that can be a first course at Christmas or a single dish with a large bowl of soup for a homemade dinner.
Imagine, in fusion with the sofa, gradually warming your hands while you watch your favorite series or movie, it makes me want to have another bowl.
Like almost all soup recipes , this one has a great history, according to the writer of “The Three Musketeers”, the Frenchman Alexandre Dumas , it was “a soup very dear to hunters, people of bad life and revered by drunkards”.
As you can see an economic recipe from the town, although it was Estanislao Leczinski. Former king of Poland and passionate about gastronomy, the one who discovered this traditional soup in a French inn.
He liked its delicate flavor so much that he did not stop until he got the recipe. From that moment it acquired fame and popularity in the court and later it became the obligatory dish with which the Parisian night sprees ended, hence the appointment of Dumas.
I leave you with the modern version of this soup originating in France, made with dry bread, meat broth and caramelized onions.
The “soupe á l’oignon gratinée” or gratin onion soup, a variation of Paul Bocuse’s recipe in the book “The Market Kitchen” . Simple, humble, tasty, nutritious and healthy, I hope you like it as much as I do.
Preparation of onion soup
- In this soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in the market or any supermarket. You can use another type of onion but the flavor will not be as smooth and mellow.
- Peel and cut into julienne strips (lengthwise and in very thin slices) the sweet onions. We reserve in a bowl.
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. Add the butter, which is the true base of this French soup.
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, introduce the onions and the garlic, very minced. We also add a little salt and black pepper. The salty effect will help the onions to sweat and soften earlier.
- Stir with a wooden spoon in an enveloping manner until the onion is transparent or translucent, it should not take on color.
- This process is slow because we want to have the soft onion without burning. With very soft fire it will take about 20-25 minutes.
- You can cover or not the casserole during cooking, although if you cover it, the water that is released from the sauce will remain in the casserole and will prevent the onion from taking on toasted color.
Final preparation of onion soup and presentation
- If we have not used sweet onions at this time we can add a tablespoon of sugar. Although we must be careful that it does not caramelize very quickly so that the onion is not colored.
- Sprinkle the flour in the casserole and stir carefully to mix it well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup.
- Add the brandy and allow 1-2 minutes to evaporate.
- We introduce the broth, meat or whatever we like, for example chicken, fish or vegetables (so you will give your touch to the soup). Season with salt and pepper if necessary and bring to a boil. We leave 15-20 minutes on very low heat.
- The soup has flour and if we increase the temperature it will go to the bottom of the casserole. It will stick and the recipe may get annoying us.
- Cut the bread into thin slices and lightly toast.
- Spread with a piece of garlic and place on the surface of the casserole or in individual bowls with the soup and toast on top.
- Sprinkle with the soft cheese that we like the most (I have used gruyère).
- We put in the oven preheated to 200º C. Gratin at 220º C for 5-6 minutes and immediately serve very hot.
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the French onion soup recipe. Do not lose detail and it will be perfect.
Recommendations for a yummy onion soup
- The elaboration of this soup is very easy, although it may be a little laborious.
- A liquid soup but with a point of starch that gives it a texture between soup and cream, which gives onion soup that unique touch.
- A recipe worthy of both a first course at Christmas and a simple dinner on these cold nights when you just want to be with your blanket on the sofa.
- Here is another video in case you want to have more ideas to prepare this French onion soup.