- 90 minutes
- For 8 people
- 0.8 € / person
- 315kcal per 100g.
How to make caramelized fried milk.
The fried milk is one of the homemade desserts more traditional country, although it is in the north of Spain where it is consumed.
It is not known for sure where it comes from because there are several communities that claim it as their own, such as Castilla León and the Basque Country and, specifically, Palencia and San Sebastián.
The secret of its success lies in the simplicity and popularity of its ingredients, which cannot be more basic: milk, flour, eggs and sugar .
It is usually eaten as a dessert, but nothing prevents us from enjoying a few portions of fried milk at snack time.
If the traditional fried milk is delicious, you can not imagine how delicious it is caramelized. Freshly made it is delicious, although we do not disgust it, they put it cold in front of us.
There are establishments that serve it with an English cream as a base or sauce and a little whipped cream or vanilla ice cream as a garnish and turn this sweet into a most glamorous dessert.
We leave you with this version of ours, caramelized fried milk, which is slowly dying. Its creamy interior and crisp exterior make it a 100% yummy recipe.
Preparation of the fried milk base
- In a saucepan we heat the milk with the lemon peel, without any white part so that it does not become bitter, and the cinnamon stick.
- Before it begins to boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and remove the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick that we discard.
- In a deep container, mix the sugar and cornstarch and add half the hot milk that we have in the saucepan.
- We remove with a few rods to incorporate and make sure that we do not leave lumps.
- We pour this mixture into the saucepan, stir again and place again on the fire.
- Heat over medium-low heat while stirring so that the mixture does not cling to the base. As it takes temperature, the mixture becomes thicker and takes body so it is important not to stop stirring.
- We cover a container with parchment paper or we grease it with butter and sprinkle with glace sugar.
- Pour the mixture into the container and spread it well over the entire surface and cover with plastic wrap, ensuring that it is well glued so that, when cooling, it does not form a crust on the surface.
- We wait for it to warm a little before transferring the container to the fridge, where we allow it to cool down and take shape for at least an hour.
Form, frying and final presentation of fried milk
- At the end of this time and once the mixture is firm, unmold on a wooden board and cut into squares, circles or the shape that we like the most.
- We can use a cookie cutter and do it with a knife. To taste.
- We take two deep plates. We beat the eggs in one of them and place the flour in the other.
- We fill a frying pan with plenty of sunflower oil and heat it.
- We pass each portion by flour first and then by beaten egg, until it is well impregnated on both sides and fry.
- Turn to brown on both sides and remove from the pan, letting all the portions drain on absorbent paper.
- Finally, we place the fried milk on a baking sheet and sprinkle each portion with a little brown sugar.
- Caramelize with the help of a torch or, failing that, placing the tray under the oven grill.
You can see all the step by step photos of the caramelized fried milk recipe in this album. Do not miss any detail and you will get a 100% yummy dessert.
Curiosities and advice for a fried milk of yummy
- As with all recipes that are traditional and, above all, homemade, each teacher has his booklet and there are many versions of fried milk.
- Perhaps the most widespread is the one that uses breadcrumbs, which gives it a touch of batter similar to that of croquettes, less fine and delicate than the simple flour and egg that we like the most and which is usually the one that we like the most. But each one who prepares it to taste.
- The origin of the recipe is uncertain, several Spanish regions claiming its authorship. It is true that in the north of Spain this dessert is almost a religion and has its most devoted followers.
- Although his invention surely was to take advantage of the most common ingredients in the kitchen: milk, flour and eggs. Like French toast, they are quite similar to fried milk or cream toast.
- Normally it comes in squares or rectangles about 3-5 cm side and 2 cm thick, but we wanted to give it a different shape and we have taken out the circular cookie cutter.
- You can do the same if you want to give a different and original air to the fried milk and finish the job by caramelizing the surface with a thin layer of toasted sugar.
- The secret of fried milk is to get a creamy but non-melting texture and batter. According to Néstor Luján and Juan Perucho, breadcrumbs with breadcrumbs are popular in Madrid in “The Spanish Cookbook, Gastronomy and History”.
- You can take hot, warm or cold fried milk from the fridge. I like it as it is, I assure you that there will be no one who resists this dessert, its flavor is unique.
- For lovers of sweets, to taste this delicacy is to be reunited with the past.