- 40 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 3 / person
- 286kcal per 100g.
How to make tuna stew with potatoes . One of those fish recipes that when you try it stays at home as if it were a family recipe.
Dishes with bonito lose me and if it is in the best of the season, it usually wins by a win at home, because the bonito is soft and very juicy.
Today’s recipe is similar to marmitako but without being a spoonful. Although it has been accompanied with french fries, it can also go with some good cachelos or a little white rice. The really good thing about this dish is its main ingredient, the Bonito de Burela .
Many people confuse bonito with tuna. The most notable difference is that the bonito meat is tastier and its texture softer. On the other hand, the color of its meat is whiter, even more than that of light tuna. Bonito also has a lower percentage of fat, while light tuna reaches 10%, that of bonito is reduced to 6%.
The beauty of Burela is one of the most exquisite blue fish. In the kitchen its versatility is enormous, ideal for preparing skewers, skewers and tapas or as starters such as salads, vegetable stir-fries, tortillas, pasta and rice.
Of course, on the blog we have a lot of suggestions with this ingredient, from the beautiful onion , in tartar , on a roll , a delicious empanada , a succulent nice in tomato sauce , … ideas that can save you a great celebration. You will succeed for sure.
It is also perfect for making unique dishes, from delicious fillings to traditional stews, to fried foods and oriental delicacies such as sushi or tempura. Although the most common way of preparing it as we present it to you today, in caldeirada or in marmite . A stew of bread and dipping.
Cleaning and preparation of Bonito de Burela
- When we go to buy the bonito, we ask the fishmonger to be pieces from the loin area.
- Let him make slices about 3-4 cm thick. We have to pass the slices through a little water and then cut them into 4 parts, removing the bones and the skin.
- We reserve on a plate.
- Crush the garlic clove in a mortar, add the bay leaf, parsley and a pinch of salt. It should be similar to a paste. Season the bonito with this paste and let it sit for 1 hour.
Preparation of the tuna stew ingredients
- Chop the onions and bell pepper into very small pieces. Peel the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the pumpkin slice and zucchini, cut it into medium-sized quarters, a little larger than the “Brunoise type” cut , which is usually 0.5 centimeters thick, in this case it would be medium-sized, approximately 1 cm so that it does not melt in cooking.
- For those who are new to the kitchen and are making this recipe for the first time, I advise you to cut first into slices and then make equal cuts first horizontally and then vertically. This type of cut is also called as “the planter.”
Tuna stew cooking
- In a wide saucepan, if possible, of clay, pour the olive oil and heat to a high temperature.
- When the oil is very hot, fry the onion, carrots and red pepper. After 5 minutes we add the squash and the zucchini in fourth. Add the white wine and spend another 5 minutes over low heat until it loses some of the water.
- When the sofrito is well browned, add the bonito from the north and fry it with the vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the natural tomato and let it reduce for about 4-5 minutes.
- Leave everything in the saucepan to cook for about 10-15 minutes over low heat. We can go testing to see how salt goes. In case you’re bland it’s time to grind salt.
The potatoes and final presentation of the tuna stew
- We peel the potatoes and cut as we like, so they release all their starch. We have made them in straw type but in dice they also look great.
- Fry in abundant hot olive oil. We remove from the pan and remove the excess oil. We reserve at a source.
- On this occasion we have accompanied the bonito from the north with fried potatoes, I have also prepared it with cachelos (cooked potatoes) and it is really good.
- Occasionally we move the casserole so that it does not stick.
We place with a potato base and on top we place the bonito with a little sauce. We serve it very hot and with a little bread because the sauce in this recipe is great. Ready and lick your fingers!
Be sure to enjoy all the recipes for fish and seafood that we have on the blog. You can see all the photos of the step by step of Burela tuna stew recipe in this album.