- 10 minutes
- For 2 persons
- 3.5 € / person
How to make a tomato and mozzarella salad . Every time I go to Galicia I come loaded with a shipment of freshly picked tomatoes from the garden. I assure you that I cannot supply, I start with a toast with tomato every morning, those salad recipes with a relatively simple preparation and of all kinds for dinner like the one I present today, cold soups of all kinds, salmorejos , gazpachos , sauce tomato (you have to think about the rest of the year) … and it is that of the good tomato, that one that does not taste like plastic does not tire you.
The tomato salad and mozzarella , better known as caprese salad is a typical Neapolitan dish from the island of Capri. Offered in Italian cuisine, usually as a starter, it is a refreshing dish ideal for the whole year, perfect as a starter before a hearty meal or as a luxury dinner. In this case we have adapted the classic caprese with some other ingredient, some smoked cod flakes, some finely chopped vegetables seasoned with basil-flavored oil that make this salad something else, a delicacy.
I will teach you how to prepare a basil oil, super simple, fast and that we can use for many other dishes. Its green color aromatizes dishes and makes them more palatable. If you have excess oil, we can keep it in the refrigerator, we only have to take it out a few minutes before using it so that it loses cold and liquefies again. For this salad to be yummy, its main ingredient must be quality. If we use seasonal products, it will be easier for us to do so, as well as being cheaper and will help us eat the product with its best flavor. This recipe is savored, it is more than just a quick dinner. We will have in a few minutes a complete meal and a healthy habit. It provides all the nutrients, is easily digested and is delicious. What more could you want?
Preparation of tomato and mozzarella salad
- We put water in a saucepan and when it starts to boil, add the basil leaves. We leave them for a few seconds and go to a container with ice water. Take out, drain and dry with kitchen paper. We put the oil with the basil in the blender and crush well. We just have to strain it, we already have the perfect oil for our salads.
- We wash the tomatoes well and peel them so as not to find that annoying skin. Tomatoes must not be very ripe, they release juice but they do not dissolve, we cut them into quarters.
- We wash the rest of the vegetables, peel the carrot and zucchini. Cut the rest into similar pieces, sauté with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. We reserve
- I recommend buying Buffala mozzarella, every day it is easier to find it in any supermarket and you will notice the difference. It is a type of fresh cheese in the form of a ball that comes in plastic bags preserved in a liquid. It is important to consume it soon after opening the container. We cut the mozzarella cheese into small cubes and season them with a little salt, freshly ground black pepper and the basil oil. We can also put some small basil leaves or decorate with some parsley.
- We chose a showy tray or a large enough flat plate to present the salad on the table.
- Place the vegetable bed (carrot, zucchini, onion and celery) in small cubes and on top the tomatoes. We put the diced cheese and the cod flakes. Finally we pour the basil oil on top and a little flake salt. Ready to serve.
A salad that seems light but deceiving, I have also eaten it with some breadsticks that was the only thing missing to be a balanced meal, with all its nutrients, simply delicious. Word, you will feel like you are in Italy.