- 90 minutes
- For 4 people
- 2.5 € / person
How to prepare battered artichokes accompanied by vegetable sauce . We are in artichoke season and we are passionate at home, one of those vegetables that do not usually go very well when you are little but as soon as you get the point, they are delicious. This time I have decided on a very simple and flavorful recipe, artichokes coated in sauce . One of those vegetable recipes that everyone will love, even vegetarians.
On the blog you have several recipes with artichokes, from the most visited with ham and egg , the stuffed and gratin with bechamel to the famous risotto with artichokes . This recipe could not be missing on the blog, simple, healthy and very cheap. The artichoke is mainly composed of water, followed by carbohydrates and fiber. It is a very useful food for weight loss diets since its vegetable fibers absorb water from the stomach, which helps us control appetite by increasing the feeling of satiety. Its most beneficial qualities include its digestive properties, the ability to reduce blood triglycerides, the regulation of constipation and its diuretic function, facilitating the elimination of liquids.
The battered artichokes could be taken directly or with a simple accompaniment of mayonnaise or a tomato sauce , if it is homemade much better. For this recipe I wanted to give it a more special touch and that is why I propose to accompany it with a vegetable sauce very typical of our gastronomy, ideal to accompany this dish or even as an accompaniment to a steak or some meatballs . Try them this way, you will love them!
Preparation of battered artichokes in sauce
- The first thing we do is thoroughly clean the artichokes. We remove the outer leaves until we reach the layer where they have a lighter green color and are more tender. Next we peel the trunk, which in this case we keep and cut the tip.
- We divide them into two halves and with the help of a teaspoon we remove the central part, where the fuzz that can give a bitter taste is found.
- As we clean them, place them in a bowl containing water and the juice of the ½ lemon to prevent them from taking on a brownish color. If you don’t like the acidic flavor that lemon gives you, you can do the same process with fresh parsley and very cold water. Either trick helps prevent oxidation, the process that occurs when the phenols in the artichoke come into contact with oxygen.
- We put water in a saucepan, add a pinch of salt, a quarter of a lemon and heat until it boils. At that time we add the artichokes and leave for 15-20 minutes, depending on how tender they are.
- At the end of this time we remove them from the water and drain them on kitchen paper to remove the cooking water.
- We prepare the mixture to coat them. For this, we beat four eggs in a deep plate and add salt, two tablespoons of flour to make it thicker and adhere more to the artichokes and a tablespoon of water or vodka (it will help the frying to be crispier).
- To make the batter more consistent, we pass the artichokes through the egg mixture, then through the flour and again through the mixture. In this case we have used specific flour for batters.
- To fry them, pour olive oil in a frying pan and wait until it is very hot.
- We are placing the battered artichokes and take a couple of turns so that they are golden brown on both sides.
- We continue with the preparation of the sauce. Chop the onion and put it to sauté in a saucepan with very hot oil. Chop the leek and carrot and add it next. We season. When the vegetables are browned add a tablespoon of flour and sauté.
- Add the wine and leave a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate. We pour half a glass of broth little by little. We remove well and we rectify of salt. We let everything cook for about 25 – 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- After this time we crush with the mixer and reserve.
- The artichokes, once fried, are placed in a bowl on a thin bed of sauce. The leftover will be served in a separate container so that each one can be served more if desired or even to be taken with bread.
Although you are not very lovers of vegetables, I assure you that with this recipe you will suck your fingers. The battered artichokes are much better freshly made, it is better to serve them immediately and accompany them over the sauce as I recommend in the presentation photo. It is the small inconvenience that this dish has, because the batter is much richer to the point, it must be consumed as soon as possible so that the product does not remain soft or cold.
You will find a lot of ideas on the blog to cook this vegetable, from baked artichokes, to simple artichokes with ham or as an essential ingredient in this rice with artichokes . A perfect recipe to enjoy with friends or family on a holiday or for the weekly menu. Cheer up with the different recipes with artichokes that we have on the blog, I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to cook day by day at home. You can see all the step by step photos of the recipe for artichokes battered in sauce in this album, do not miss any detail and it will be perfect.