- For the meat
- 1 kilo of pork pulp
- 1 liter of orange juice
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 100 g of achiote paste
- habañero pepper
- 1 lemon (the juice)
- For the onions
- 1 red onion
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Rinse the meat and cut it into pieces.
- Blend the orange juice with the onion, vinegar and achiote.
- Cook the meat with the mixture in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into julienne strips, sauté it in olive oil and
- put it in a container with the vinegar, a little salt and oregano.
- Cut the habanero pepper into thin slices, add the lemon juice, a little water and salt to taste. Serve the tacos with the onions and a slice of habanero.
3 IMPORTANT THINGS ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS OF THE
SUCKLING PIG THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW.
If you are looking for the ingredients of the cochinita pibil , you have come to the right place, because we all want to recreate that unique and special flavor that only our grandmother could achieve. Follow the recipe step by step and it will be spectacular, as much as to lick your fingers.
- This dish is originally from the state of Yucatán. Its key ingredients are pork and achiote.
- It arises in pre-Hispanic times where it used to be cooked on November 2 during the meal of the souls or “Hanal Pixan”.
- Before colonial times, venison, peccary, pheasant or wild turkey meat was used to prepare cochinita pibil.
Are you a fan of Yucatecan food? Don’t miss this video:
COCHINITA PIBIL INGREDIENTS: HISTORY OF THIS DISH
The origins of this gastronomic delight go back to the PREHISPANIC ERA, in the state of Yucatán, when it was customary to prepare it as an offering for important celebrations such as the Day of the Dead , known as Hanal Pixán .
It is known from the codes of the first explorers, that initially pheasant , wild boar or venison meat was used and cooked in the earth oven called “pib”. With the Spanish conquest , this meat was replaced by pork .
Since then the cochinita pibil has been prepared throughout the country as one of the favorite dishes and especially representative of the YUCATAN STATE. Currently it is prepared in different ways such as tacos or cakes but the base remains the same.
Do not forget to share this delicious recipe and the ingredients of the traditional cochinita pibil so that your mother or best friend can also decide to cook this dish of Yucatecan cuisine .