- 4-6 bobbins
- 1/2 kg of pork loin head
- 4 guajillo chili peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of commercial achiote paste
- 1/4 cup of sour orange juice
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1 cup of habanero sauce
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Roast the chiles on a comal, soak them in 1 cup of hot water to soften them, and remove the seeds.
- Blend them together with the garlic, annatto, orange juice and cumin to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Place the meat in a dish, pour the blended mixture and let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a baking dish, combine the red onion with the lemon juice and salt and marinate while the meat cooks.
- In a saucepan with 1 liter of water cook the meat for 2 hours or until it is soft; Remove from the stove and wait for the meat to cool to shred it.
- Cut the bolillos in half lengthwise, remove the crumb and fill them with the meat and the flaked onion.
- Put the habanera sauce on the table so that each staff can serve themselves to their liking.
If you are reading this it is because without a doubt your stomach has a craving for a delicious cochinita pibil on the stove, perfect for preparing a cake. For these reasons, Mexican food is one of the best. To enjoy!
3 IMPORTANT THINGS THAT EVERY LOVER OF COCHINITA PIBIL HAS TO KNOW
- This dish is originally from the state of Yucatán. Its key ingredients are pork and achiote.
- It arises in pre-Hispanic times where it used to be cooked on November 2 during the meal of the souls or “Hanal Pixan”.
- Before colonial times, venison, peccary, pheasant or wild turkey meat was used to prepare cochinita pibil.
Do not forget to share this delicious recipe with your mother or best friend so that they also decide to cook this traditional dish of Yucatecan cuisine. Enjoy!