- 50 minutes
- For 6 people
- 1.6 € / person
- 280kcal per 100g.
How to make a Portuguese green broth.
The Portuguese green broth is one of the most traditional dishes of our neighbor and friend Portugal.
I am in love with its gastronomy, with all kinds of broth (including Galician broth ) and this recipe in particular could not be missing from the blog. A dish that we can find in the menus and menus of its entire territory, although its origin and its greatest presence are located in the north of the country, from Porto to Galicia.
This geographical particularity influences its ingredients, among which we find Galician cabbage or collard greens and smoked sausages, originating from the pig slaughter.
In Portugal, it is a dish as predominant as cod , and it is typical to take it in the early hours of New Year’s Eve, as a restorative.
If you like Portuguese gastronomy, in the Blog you can find other recipes such as cod with creams , lagareiro-style cod , or tamboril rice . In the sweet section, the delicious Pão de Ló or the famous pastéis de Belem .
Preparation of the Portuguese green broth
- We remove the leaves of the cabbage (Galician cabbage) and wash them. We put them on top of each other, roll them up and cut them into thin strips. We reserve.
- We cut the onion and garlic into “brunoise”. In a saucepan (where we will make the broth), pour a sheet of extra virgin olive oil and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and add them in large cubes. Add warm water, until completely covered. We salt to taste. Cover the pot and cook for 25 minutes (until the potatoes are tender).
- Cut the chorizo into slices and sauté a couple of minutes in a frying pan.
- After the cooking time, we crush the potatoes and vegetables with the mixer. A fine and homogeneous cream will result. We taste of salt and rectify if necessary.
- Now we add the kale and the chorizo (defatted). We mix. We cover again and cook another 5 minutes more.
- We serve hot on the table, accompanied by good artisan bread. As they would say in Portugal, it is ready to serve.
You can see all the photos of the step by step of the Portuguese green broth recipe in this album, do not miss any detail and they will be perfect.
Tips for a perfect Portuguese broth
- Find and buy some quality ingredients to prepare this Portuguese broth with Galician touches: Galician potatoes, Galician cabbage and smoked chorizo sausages.
- If you have the opportunity to buy Portuguese products, do not hesitate to add sweet potatoes, Portuguese couve or couve manteiga, chouriço and a good loaf of broa de milho.
- At the time of crushing the broth, a fine and homogeneous cream should result. If you see that it is somewhat thick, add a little more water. You can substitute the water for chicken or chicken broth, it will give a more intense flavor to your broth.
- To accompany this broth, the ideal is to have a good artisan bread, and if possible I recommend a corn bread or broa bread, with the compact crumb.