- 120 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 3 / person
- 268kcal per 100g.
How to prepare ruled meat or stewed beef . This is a traditional meat recipe from Asturian cuisine. I have enjoyed it in Oviedo, but it is a dish that is prepared throughout Asturias, both at home and in restaurants.
I remember it was during a weekend, and this dish was included in the “Ascension Menu”. Because the Ascension Fair was held in Oviedo, and it is usually the second weekend of May. This recipe is called that because it is a slow-cooked meat stew , and is therefore left to the “good government” of the stove.
In Galicia, we have a similar dish, the “ Xarrete guisado ”, although we do it with large pieces of meat. My friend Nacho de Allariz is an expert in this dish, and I always have to taste it when I visit it during the Festa do Boi. A celebration that also falls on May-June, depending on the dates of the Corpus. I have already told you a lot of times about it, but I will not tire of recommending that you do not miss it.
This stew goes a long way, since the sauce is delicious and you will surely take it by spreading bread on it. Like most stews, the dish improves from one day to the next, so this recipe has the convenience of being able to be prepared the day before. In short, Galicians and Asturians are “first cousins” and our dishes often have certain similarities. This ruled meat is a good example of this. A dish of a lifetime, made with calm and that you will surely love.
Preparation of stewed veal or ruled meat. Asturian recipe
- As I said, better ask the butcher to prepare the meat for you. If not, cut the meat into pieces and remove the fat parts.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat in the saucepan where we are going to cook the dish, with extra virgin olive oil. When it is golden, remove and reserve.
- We wash the vegetables and chop them. Fine garlic, onions in brunoise, diced tomato and thinly sliced carrots.
- In the same oil as the meat, we poach the vegetables over medium heat, about 15 minutes. We salt to taste.
- We spray with a good jet of brandy, turn up the heat and evaporate the alcohol for a couple of minutes.
- Now we add the white wine. We go down to medium heat and cook another 10 minutes.
- At this point, we add the meat, the meat stock and the chopped fresh parsley (2 tablespoons). We will let the “good government” cook over low heat for 65-70 minutes. Until the meat is very tender. Prick it with a fork to check it.
- As a garnish, you can make white rice, cooked potatoes or diced fried potatoes. We add them to the casserole the last 5 minutes and let them cook a little with the meat.
Tips and advice for a rumpled steak meat
- This stew is prepared with veal meat, from the part of the black pudding or hock. You need a preparation with love, without haste and regardless of the time. So it is one of those dishes to enjoy the weekend with the family.
- It is great to take to work in a tupper , since with a reheated it will be the same or better than just made.
- Prepare more, if they come to eat 4, they are ingredients for 6 and so you have a luxury tupper for the weekly menu. It is a recipe that can be frozen without problem.
- It is important to ask the butcher to mince the piece of meat to cook, and remove the fat parts, so that only the lean part remains. With the accompaniment of the vegetables and an appropriate garnish, we will take out one of those dishes that are not forgotten.
- In the blog we can find other stews and beef stews in which different parts of the animal are used. Bourguignon beef stew , French style, red wine beef stew , with lid and beef stifle, the classic meat stew with tomato or the Galician stew Galician beef stew , or even a honey beef with veal black pudding . They are all recipes where veal is the main ingredient that is cooked with time and love.
- A dish that like all traditional recipes takes time to prepare but is worth it. The blood sausage meat is very tender, easy to eat and with a very tasty sauce.
- Finally, get a good bread to dip, and enjoy this Asturian Governed Meat. It is delicious!
It is a simple and flavorful dish. You can see all the step by step photos of the recipe for this meat stew in this album.