- 35 minutes
- For 4 people
- 3.8 € / person
- 235kcal per 100g.
- · ·
After a good marmitako or some Rioja-style potatoes , one of the potato stews that I like the most is the potatoes with squid.
A dish that my mother prepares for as long as I can remember and embroiders it. Since I am in Madrid I prepare it very often, because it is a spoon stew that is made super fast.
In about half an hour we have a spoon plate that lifts a dead person, and the cold, of course. The squid’s powerful texture and aromas combine perfectly in this type of stew that I cook for you today.
As it is also relatively easy to find squid throughout the year, it is a highly recommended stew, both for cold weather and to enjoy in summer.
A classic recipe for homemade food, well prepared, nutritious and tasty. You can see it in many restaurants as a star dish on the menu of the day or as a menu item.
I have even seen it in Asturias as a cover to accompany a cider or white wine. Simple and cheap recipe, I advise you to cook it with good ingredients, some Galician potatoes are perfect and of course the squid is of quality, native and fresh.
I assure you that it will be a recipe that comes into the house to stay and prepare on many occasions. I hope you like it and cheer up with it.
Preparation of squid with potatoes
- Being an “express” stew, as I usually call it, we are going to use fish broth to speed up the process.
- Buy one of good quality, as natural as possible. It is advisable to spend some time at this point before taking it home, since there are packaged broths that carry too many “artificial” ingredients.
- If you have one already prepared great, in my case I always have a freezer bottom that saves me a lot of times.
- It is convenient to ask your trusted fishmonger to clean the squid for us because they stain a lot at home, and if we separate the inks, much better because we can freeze them for squid in their ink or croquettes.
- At home, we cut the squid into small pieces, which then fit into the mouth of a bite.
- We make rings with the body and we divide them into four. The part of the tentacles in 2 or 3 pieces. We reserve.
- Peel the onion and chives, cut into a fine brunoise, so that later it is not too noticeable in the final sauce. Chop the garlic cloves very finely.
- We wash the peppers and chop them into small cubes, discarding the inside of the seeds.
- If you like it with a spicy touch we can add a little chili, the spicy to this dish is very good, although it is optional.
- In a wide and flat saucepan, pour a sheet of extra virgin olive oil, do not overdo it with the oil that we do not want to be left with much fat and add the minced garlic.
- We cook over medium heat for one minute without burning and add the onion and chives (if you like the leek, this stew is also very good).
- We poach everything for 5 minutes at medium temperature and season to make all the vegetables sweat.
- We introduce the bay leaf and the peppers, cook another 5 minutes over medium low heat until they soften.
- We fry everything well, we remove everything to gather the vegetables and cook until it is very soft and a little toasted.
- Add the squid and stir to taste. This will bring all the ingredients together and make the squid earlier.
- They are going to release water and for a little bit you will have enough liquid, but it will evaporate quickly. With 2-3 minutes of cooking is enough.
- It is time to add the potatoes, which we have previously cut into pieces.
- It is better to break them with the knife so that they release all the starch and leave a juicier sauce. Pour the tomato sauce and stir everything.
- Before adding the fish stock, you can also wash it with a little white wine or even a glass of brandy, it greatly enhances the flavor, but then it should be left to cook until all the alcohol evaporates.
- We pour the fish broth and cook 18-20 minutes over medium-high heat, which gradually consumes the liquid and concentrates the flavor of the broth.
- We tried salt and if necessary we seasoned again.
- We must slowly cook the potatoes until they are soft but without overdoing it, but that does not take more than 20-22 minutes.
- It is best to try the dish to see if it is a whole. It will be a soupy dish, to be tasted with a spoon, with an intense flavor.
- We serve very hot, at the moment, optionally decorating with some parsley leaves.
- Finished and ready to enjoy at the table, perfect for a good after-dinner.
This potato casserole with squid saves your Sunday food with the in-laws, you will be like a king / queen. They are great and very easy to make.
To accompany the best is a little bread, the caldito is glorious and goes very well with a fresh white wine.
And if you want you can tune this casserole as you like, some clams or some coquinas, or even a little pink or cod.
It is a dish that admits many variations. A very fast and delicious recipe, it only took us 35 minutes. I hope you liked it!
You can see all the photos of the step by step in the next album.