- 30 minutes
- For 4 people
- 1.8 € / person
- 252kcal per 100g.
How to make pita bread or Arab bread
Have you ever tried pita bread or Arab bread? The bread recipe today is very easy and requires no oven to prepare.
A flat bread without crumbs, very light and perfect to accompany with hummus , msajan or mutabal or fill with your favorite ingredients.
Pita bread is a type of soft bread originating in the Near East that is often baked on the walls of the ovens and can be made with crumbs or hollows so that it is very easy to fill it with the ingredients that most appeal to us.
It is a perfect accompaniment for all kinds of lunches and dinners, it can be served as part of breakfast together with jam and butter, it is also used a lot with Lebanese creams , to serve kebabs or falafel .
Although normally pita bread recipes require an oven, today we are going to see how to cook it directly in the pan to make it even faster, keeping all the flavor and the rest of the properties. No one will notice the difference!
Preparation of the dough for pita bread
- We heat 300 ml. of water until warm.
- Crumble the yeast into the water and stir well. We reserved 10 minutes.
- We put the flour in a bowl.
- Make a hole in the middle with your hands and sprinkle the salt around (2 teaspoons).
- Pour the water into the hole and remove everything very well with a spatula.
- Add 6 teaspoons of oil and work well with your hands until you have a uniform mass.
- We remove it from the bowl and knead for 7 minutes.
- We return to the bowl, cover with transparent film and let stand one hour to double its size.
- We spread flour on the table and knead the dough for a couple of minutes.
- We cut it into pieces (first in two, then in four and finally in 8 or 10).
Kneading, shape and final preparation of pita bread
- We take each piece of dough in our hand, crush it a little and bring the outside to the center around and several times.
- We make a ball and with the cupped hand we move it on the countertop crushing it slightly.
- We repeat with all the portions of dough.
- We let them rest 15 more minutes.
- We crush with the rolling pin being careful not to break the dough. If we want the loaves to be spongy and with crumbs, we make them have a thickness of more than one centimeter.
- If, on the contrary, we want them to be hollow (they will inflate when cooked) we crush until they are fine.
- We place each bread in the pan and grill without oil, 4 minutes on each side.
Try this recipe for homemade pita bread and then you will tell me if it tastes the same as it is marketed, it has nothing to do, you will see.
I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to accompany this bread. You can see all the photos of the step by step of this pita bread recipe . A yummy bun.
Tips for a yummy pita bread
- If you prefer to do it in the oven, it is also very simple. We just have to use a baking stone and heat it to the maximum of your oven (top 250º C). Then you only have to bake about 4 minutes or until the bread swells in the center. It will make an inner tube that looks perfectly. Then we remove from the oven and eat warm.
- Once the loaves have been removed from the pan or oven, they are immediately put between two kitchen towels so that they do not cool and do not dry.
- You can substitute whole wheat flour for whole wheat flour, it will give your pita bread another touch.